AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   All Other Audi Models (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/all-other-audi-models-11/)
-   -   Struts (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/all-other-audi-models-11/struts-18891/)

0fframp 10-29-2005 07:11 PM

Struts

Did anybody change the front struts by themselves on a 200/100 models? I am wondering what the size is for the threaded cap that holds the strut cartridge?

gmatov 10-30-2005 02:27 AM

RE: Struts

OR,

Are you asking what the size is of the hole in the top, or the OD, or the actual thread size?

Last time I changed them, I used a combination of pipe wrench, to break them loose, then water pump pliers, large Channel Locks, to run them off. Both can be fitted between the coils of the spring to work them loose and off.

First time I had them changed, professionally, was when a local store advertised Gasmatics for like 35 bucks per, installed. Went in, they gave me a 300 buck price, said they had to take the front end apart, ala Chevy, to do it. I argued, said they were crazy, said it was a 15 minute job, they said show us, I did, I got them for the advertised price. Piece of crap shocks, was back in less than 6 months, leaking like hell. Warranty sucked, too, shocks were free, labor was like 40 bucks per. Last time I let anybody change shocks for me.

I'm kinda gunshy telling you anything, but you do know you should scribe, or otherwise mark the adjusting plate to get it back into at least close to alignment when you bolt it back up, right? Or some light spray paint?

Cheers,

George

0fframp 10-31-2005 10:10 PM

Thanks, I have found the same recommendation on another Audi site, channel locks or a pipe wrench. In my further searching I found the tool, it's VW/Audi 2069 and runs anywhere from $40 to $90, the hex size is supposed to be 33mm. I was thinking of getting a 33mm size nut and welding it to some sort of a plate steel for a handle. BUT there is no standard 33mm bolts or nuts it's either 32mm or 36mm. However 1 5/16” ≈ 1.313” ≈ 33.34mm and is fairly common.

If I do make the tool I will post some pic’s.

wknoll 07-16-2007 12:24 PM

I also need to change the front shocks/struts on my 1993 100S Audi. The Special tool 2069 cost $ 59.00, at SamstagSales.com. I wonder what size of pipe wrench is needed to get the cap off. The cap is quite large.How hard is it to remove the cap, that holds theshock?

InExile 07-16-2007 11:00 PM

yup a pipe wrench ... and get a big one ... it's not rreally hard to get it off, but don't expect it to be easy ... and if your doing just the shocks i think it was possible to do it without removeing anything else ... they come out throught the top

wknoll 08-20-2007 03:27 PM

RE: Struts removal and installation

I just finished replacing the front struts on my 1993, Audi 100. At first I installed KYB gas struts, what a mistake, rough riding. Took the struts back to the parts store for a refund. Ordered OEM Boge 32-402-1 struts, what a differnce.
In regards to removing and installing the struts, it is very easy, remove the nut and bearing plate, unscrew the cap that hold the strut in the tube, use a pipe wrench or large chanel lock pliers, and the struts comes out through the top. (car has to be raised to get in between the spring, to unscrew the cap). I used a large chanel lock plier to remove and instal the cap. To remove and install the nut on top of the strut, I used a 7mm allen wrench to hold the strut (non OEM struts do not have that).and a 22mm boxed wrench. A word of caution! Mark the installation position of strut bearing (camber adjustment). Also it is helpful to clamp a piece of wood between spring and wheelhousing, otherwise the spring shifts.