AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   All Other Audi Models (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/all-other-audi-models-11/)
-   -   transmission ????????????????? urgent (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/all-other-audi-models-11/transmission-urgent-19032/)

mikerike 11-01-2005 09:15 PM

transmission ????????????????? urgent

Folks,

I have 1991 Audi 100 Automatic transmission
??? transmission fluid type
??? torque on pan bolts
??? quantity of fluid needed

Thanks,
mikerike

0fframp 11-01-2005 10:05 PM

RE: transmission ????????????????? urgent

ATF - Dexron 3.17 Qt.

Pan bolts - 20Nm 15 ft-lb

0fframp 11-01-2005 10:05 PM

ATF - Dexron 3.17 Qt.

Pan bolts - 20Nm 15 ft-lb

mikerike 11-01-2005 10:55 PM

offramp

would you recommend putting a quart of Lucas transmision fluid instead of one of the quarts of the atf dexron

kakarot 11-02-2005 07:58 PM

I would not. for best, syntetic ATF dextron III.

0fframp 11-04-2005 08:42 PM

Not all that familiar with Lucas but regular Dexron III will work. Dexron I & II are obsolete. Synthetic stuff - save your money unless you are planning a complete overhaul or going to do something drastic like racing around a track while puling a double axle camper.

gmatov 11-08-2005 01:17 AM

Actually, I am getting a little tired of the "synthetic" posts. They are NO better than the oils that are made out of oil than the "synthetics" which are made out of oil.

Way back when I was driving Audi diesels, they were pulling engines apart that had "synthetic" oils in them, sitting for a while, and the insides were bone dry. The "synthetics" wiped off completely. The engines with plain old oil in them were still greasy.

There is not an auto manufacturer still in business who would tell you they will give you a 100,000 mile drivetrain warranty as long as you change your oil with an approved SAE oil, if those oils were inferior to "synthetics".

If you still believe "synthetics" are the cat's meow, you wanna buy a bridge? I got one. Think Brooklyn.

Cheers,

George

BTW, reference Consumer Reports, as to the "shearing" action on the long polymers of the "synthetics". They are basiclly plastics, which cover a multitude of oil derivatives. Seems like anything made from oil is a "plastic".

kakarot 11-08-2005 10:38 AM

I love syntetic becouse it can go twice as long. but your right in some cases syntatic is infirior to the organic. but if you compare by knoledge and not by someones opinion (consumerguide) you will know.
EX.: in engine NON TURBO OR SUPER, its "better" to change regularry in intervals of no more 3000 miles with regular oil becouse regular oil doesn't go bad before it hits like 4000miles. but if you hear your lifters in the morning, you have a lot of sludge in your engine, then only syntatic not "syntec" to go. becouse syntetic doesn't burn as easily as regular, it will prevent build up of sludge, and clean engine better.
tranny, to protect your tranny from burning, and having much nicer shifts theirs only syntatic to go. But this tranny monsters in audi can survive on regular oil as well.

for example, My plan for the future: after winter I will instal small auxiliry filter w/full oil swap into syntatic, and rewrite electric system so that instead whatching engine oil temp I will see tranny temp. If I see its to high I will instal also auxiliry tranny cooler like Hayden 401.