AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   All Other Audi Models (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/all-other-audi-models-11/)
-   -   What oil to use? (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/all-other-audi-models-11/what-oil-use-7637/)

Ignition 03-27-2005 11:43 PM

What oil to use?

I am planning on doing an oil change next week. I was wondering that oil to use in a 1985 Audi Coupe with 200,000 miles? I don't want to move to synthetic oil becuase it would require some work, and it's more expensive.

I live in oregon, and summer is about to approch, but now we are having some cold weather. I know that some oils are better for hot and cold weather, and older engine.

I am planning on getting 5-30W oil.

Also what are some good oil brands to use?
Thanks.

0fframp 03-28-2005 11:36 AM

RE: What oil to use?

I use what ever happens to be on sale and change it every 3K. Just about all oils have to follow government standards as far as additives are concerned. Some manufacturers put special additives to help under extreme conditions. These additives help reduce metal to metal contact under high loads and high temperatures. Unless you are racing in some hostile alien environment there is no point running expensive oils. Oil filter is a different story. I like to use Pure One from Purolator. During the winter months I will use 5w-30 and during the summer I will switch to 10w-30. I have used the fully synthetic stuff from WeAseL-Mart and didn’t have any leaks as some of the myths that I have heard. A mechanic/machinist who builds racing motors told me that in his 30+ years of racing and building he didn’t notice any major difference in between brands of oil. I don’t use any of the “High Mileage” oils, I think that they are total BS. If the oils seals and piston rings are worn no “snake oil” in a bottle is going to help, not at least for any considerable time.

Ignition 03-28-2005 02:09 PM

Thank you! Hey, do you have AIM? or ICQ?

You know of good oil additives?

0fframp 03-28-2005 05:59 PM

I don't have AIM or ICQ! if you have questions you can send me a PM. I also check this forum quite frequently unless I am away from a computer.

Oil additives? Like Slick 50? The only thing that was slick about it was the advertising! Independent tests have shown that Teflon will collect behind piston rings and shorten their life. There is some stuff that you can add to hide the excessive oil consumption in hopes that you get a better deal on a trade-in but most don't work and will not get you better mileage or extend the life of the engine. If anything I think that these additives will shorten the life. Anything that claims to swell the rubber seals will not last long. Also car manufacturers don’t recommend using additives either not because it will make the engine run forever but quite the opposite. A few years back when Slick 50 came out a GM spokesman said that if the additive works then they would definitely recommend it. The additives that I mentioned before are the ones that are put in by motor oil manufactures. These are more like detergents, anti foaming agents, etc.