AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Allroad Model Line (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/allroad-model-line-47/)
-   -   Allroad 4.2 won't restart when hot (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/allroad-model-line-47/allroad-4-2-wont-restart-when-hot-225758/)

Caryaudi 08-29-2017 05:26 PM

Allroad 4.2 won't restart when hot

I have a 2004 Allroad 4.2L Problem I’m having is that after running it at highway speed for a period of time, say an hour or more, if I shut the engine off for s short period of time (say at a rest stop) and then try to restart it, it won’t start until I wait for an unspecified period of time, anywhere from a couple of minutes to 20+ minutes. All the dash lights come on, there’s a slight click but it doesn't crank. I keep trying every minute or so until suddenly, voila, it suddenly starts right up.
I don't have this problem if just driving and stopping around town.

Saw some blogs that pointed to a bad coolant temperature sensor but dealer said not that as even if it was bad the engine might not start but it would at least crank. Is that correct and if so does anyone have any other ideas? This used to happen just periodically but now it happens almost every time.

Thanks

karmannsport 12-13-2017 01:31 PM

My first guess would be bad starter. If it’s not cranking at all when warm you solonoid is probably crapping out.

Caryaudi 04-25-2018 01:27 PM

Thanks for the response. If the starter were going bad though, wouldn't I experience trouble starting the car at any other time, not just under the circumstances described? If I just drive around town doing errands never have a problem .. it gets warmed up but doesn't get as hot as highway driving

Caryaudi 09-21-2018 09:06 AM

Still Happening

As an update to my earlier post, I have replaced the starter, the coolant sensor, the battery and fuel pump. The other day doing errands around town on a hot (90+ degrees) and humid day, and after my third stop, each stop consisting of no more than 5-10 minutes driving in between stops of equal length, the problem arose again. it wouldn't start right away, but after trying once every minute or so, it started after 5 or so minutes. Then again after my fourth stop. So it seems like I'm back at square one except it doesn't just take driving at highway speeds for an extended time, it can happen after a limited time of driving in hot and humid weather. Still looking for clues so if anyone has any other ideas on where to look please feel free to suggest

karmannsport 09-22-2018 08:22 AM

I would assume the c5’s use the same ignition switch as the b5’s and they were known to occasionally be faulty. A no crank issue is not going to be a sensor except maybe neutral safety switch on manuals and possibly the sensor that tells the car it’s in park in an auto. I wouldn’t think the ignition switch would be temp dependent though but they’re cheap and easy to replace.

Caryaudi 09-24-2018 08:43 AM

Thanks for the input. That's the last thing I can think of to try.