Allroad Model Line Audi's take on the modern "Crossover" of a sport utility vehicle and a station wagon

Complete Shutdown While Driving

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 07:07 PM
1st Gear
Default '01 Allroad Complete Shutdown While Driving

I am a new member. Thank you in advance for any info that you can shed on my problem. I have a 2001 Allroad and in the past 6 weeks have had a complete shutdown while driving, the latest this morning. Both times I have been at a quick stop at a light or sign and making a turn (first time to a right turn and today a left) I proceed through the turn and no more than 500 yards and going some where between 15-20 mph my car completely shuts down, electrically and mechanically. The engine stops, all gauges, lights, fans, radio, etc shut off. Obviously I lose power steering and brakes will lock up if the pedal is applied. Turn signals don't come on but emergency flashers work. It the car is like when I am about to start it after just getting inside to go some where but it is already coasting down the road and the key is in the run position.
I put the gear shift into neutral, turn the key to off (I believe?) and immediately turn the key to start (I may directly turn the key to start from run position) and the car starts and runs as normal. Everything runs as nothing just happened electrical and mechanical.
Between the two failures I have driven approximately 1000 miles and except for the first few minutes of major "heart attack" I drive as normal with no signs of imminent failure.
Two things that may be related: 1) A week before the first failure I had the cam shaft position sensor replace as I had some starting issues. After sensor was replaced, no starting issues. 2) The check engine light comes on and off (by itself) with a P0741 Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Performance error code. I have heard others have had this issue for years with zero problems so I have not had it replaced/fixed.
The only other similarities between the two failures is that it has been some what cold. Sunny and dry but cold, around 15*F. Don't know if that has anything to do with it or not.
Has anyone else had this problem or know what is going on and how to fix it? I love this car and don't want to part with it, but it may be time to say good by.

Thanks again.

Last edited by captandyman; 01-07-2015 at 07:15 PM. Reason: better title
Old 01-08-2015, 05:09 PM
1st Gear

Sounds to me like it could be an ignition switch failure, in the column somewhere, loose wire in the run position?

I had a similar problem, but with another make vehicle.

Old 01-09-2015, 09:00 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the info. I have had this advise on another forum as well and think I will be getting the ignition switch looked at quickly. Thanks again

Old 01-10-2015, 08:06 AM
1st Gear

By your description, I second the ignition switch problem.

Side note: On the P0741, 95% of the time that code is caused by the torque converter itself. The internal converter clutch piston seals go bad so the TCC can't engage. This is interpetted by the TCM as a circuit fault. Very rarely is it a TCC solenoid or electrical circuit failure. Basically, new converter needed to fix the problem which gets real expensive real fast. Only problem with not fixing it is no converter lock-up and that causes a slight decrease in mpg.

Old 01-28-2015, 11:34 PM
1st Gear

Did you find the problem?

Old 02-06-2015, 08:47 AM
Default Complete shutdown

My 2001 allroad has the same issue. Was the outcome of the repair the ignition switch?