Allroad Model Line Audi's take on the modern "Crossover" of a sport utility vehicle and a station wagon

Considering '04 allroad and I have Pre-purchase questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 01:56 PM
1st Gear
Default Considering '04 allroad and I have Pre-purchase questions

Hello guys. I am a PO of an '01 s4 Avanti. Best car I have ever owned. I'm now in the market for my teenage driver and I'm thinking an allroad for the family car.

Looking locally and found one that I'll inspect this evening. The current owner says that the airbag light is illuminated but that it is the passenger airbag. I don't recall how the light works but if I drive the car to a local parts seller (like Auto Zone), they can run the codes to see what the problem is specifically, correct? Do the airbags age out? is there a limit to their workable life?

Car has 69k and is one owner. The engine leaks oil (of course) and they say that have maintenance receipts. What else besides the timing belt and thermostat should I look for in the records? I had to replace the water pump (under the intake) on my s4... does this engine have the same plastic water pump? That was expen$ive!

Is there a good way to test the airbags on the all road without having a lift to get under the car?

THANK YOU! Hoping to be back in the tribe again.

Old 08-25-2014, 04:50 PM
1st Gear

Im a new owner to a allroad myself.

From all my extensive studying and learning about this car, timing belt, thermostat and water pump normally get done at the same time, to save money of course.

Other things I looked at very carefully and studied when I went to go look at all the allroads that I did was making sure the ride height suspension worked properly, had a dealer tell me that that leaning wheel was normal, lol I laughed at him.

Major things Id say, a good carfax with records, maintenance kept up, major ones such as timing belt, water pump, thermostat, would be nice, but you say this one only has 69 k, it will be due soon as mine only has 65k and I am saving up for this procedure($1500.00) out at the Audi dealer by me. And Ill do it there only because I would trust them doing it.

The leak issue I say really know where it is coming from and investigate how much to fix that.

Either than that, I took a comment from a person on another forum, you don't buy an allroad for maintenance free car, you buy and allroad to have an allroad, or close to that, lol...so I bought it because the car put a spell on me.

Where you at in the country, I have researched every allroad in the midwest, lol...

Old 08-25-2014, 09:07 PM
1st Gear

I am also a new owner of an "04 allroad 4.2LV8, 95K miles.

The 4.2 doesn't have a timing "belt" but it has a timing chain which seems to be maintenance free and reliable if oil changes have been done properly. It should last unless failure issues begin.

The 2.7tt needs a timing belt at either 75K or 100K miles depending on the published date of the Audi maintenance schedule you're looking at.

We have had two 2.7tt's in the family and both went over 100K with no issues.

The suspension is a common failure item but can be fixed with parts from Arnott; https://www.arnottindustries.com/. You can replace it with springs or original air bags.

I recently rebuilt my compressor with no trouble with a kit from ebay and "bagpipingandy". Works like new now.

Otherwise you will find the typical Audi issues, oil leaks, etc. All are fixable and just require more $$.

I'm very pleased with the allroad, good luck.
69K miles is VERY low miles, good find.

Is it a 2.7 twin turbo or a 4.2 V8?

Old 08-25-2014, 09:12 PM
1st Gear

P.S.- testing the airbaags requires putting them on setting "4", measuring your lift at the fenders, then checking it again in the morning to see if it has lost lift. Filling to #4 will also give you an idea if the compressor overheats and fails to fill without a rest. Go to #3 first then after another minute go to #4. If you're losing lift then you have a leak somewhere in the lines or the bags, spray them all with soapy water and watch for bubbles.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:55 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the great, advice filled comments. I'm going to inspect the car tomorrow evening... the car is a 2.7tt. Original owner and he says he has all receipts for major repairs from new. Car seems clean for it's age but there are minor issues... one being the passenger airbag light is on. I'm not really sure what he meant or how he knew it was the passenger side airbag but will see and report back here.

Where is the compressor in the car? Is it located in a spot that I could feel to see if was over heating? I won't have the overnight opportunity with the car during the inspection so I am considering showing up with my spray bottle of soapy water.

Thank you again from so west CT

Old 08-26-2014, 11:43 AM
1st Gear

I have a vag-com that might be able to analyse the airbag light and turn it off. I have no real knowledge about an airbag issue, hope it's nothing big.
I am in PA, but there may be someone near you too.

The compressor will overheat and shut off during the process of raising the vehicle to #3. Pushing the dash up or down buttons will do nothing at that point until the compressor cools, mine was very noisy too and quieted down with the rebuild. The rebuild kit was about $50 shipped and easy to do.
The compressor is just in front of the spare tire well, under the car, behind/above a steel protection plate. Easy to get to on your back with the car on ramps. Beside the compressor, exposed, is a block with several colored air pipes attached that goes to the airbags, each airbag has a pipe at the top too. In the drivers rear compartment in the luggage area, under the black tool kit rack is a silver metal tank that holds air for the system, but the inlet hose must be under it and can't be seen easily. It's more likely to be a single airbag where the car is "leaning" so I would check there first. I have read that with a leak, the compressor can burn out from running too much, but the rebuild kit should take care of that.

Good luck.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:29 PM
1st Gear

I'm ready for the inspection! Feeling confident that I'm going with this inside knowledge. I love these forums!
Thank you again for your help.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:29 PM
1st Gear

How did your inspection go, any luck?

TC

Old 08-27-2014, 09:53 PM
1st Gear

ugh! post isn't loading! Third try...

only issue of note: Airbag light is on. The own said that his mechanic couldn't pull a fault code from the computer and recd taking it to the dealer. In my experience that is never cheap. I'm hoping the collective knowledge here can advise me on the common faults that cause the airbag light to trip. Is it common even? Do airbags age out... the car IS 10years old.

Thank you!

Old 08-27-2014, 10:01 PM
1st Gear

Other issues that you warned me about:

--wet engine (w/ oil): I think it is probably the valve covers. The owner replaced the timing belt and thrmostat 9k ago... also did the vavle covers and crankshaft seal. The valve covers were also done 8k before that. I'm guessing this is a DYI fix.

--braked were a bit spongy: Pad and rotors are 14k old and I suspect that the fluid needs to be flushed... no records of that being done in the past 4 years. again DYI

--Suspension... I put it on the 3rd position. No problem, then the 4th position (the others are green... is the 4th position supposed to be orange?). The car then sat for 40- 50 minutes without sagging or leaning from the 4th position. I didn't have the soapy water to test the airbags themselves but they replaced one complete shock unit ($600) 3k ago (5 months). I couldn't hear the compressor running either inside or outside the car.

Overall, it looks clean and straight. Of course, it is 10 years old so the usual haze of imperfections in the paint but at 10' it looks good.

Thanks for all your help and advice. The airbag light is really my only concern in the particular car. I can't afford to pour money into this so I'm hoping that I can manage all the maintenance and fixes myself. I'm sure I'll become a fixture in the boards.

Thank you

Quick Reply: Considering '04 allroad and I have Pre-purchase questions