AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Allroad Model Line (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/allroad-model-line-47/)
-   -   Failing Allroads Support Group (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/allroad-model-line-47/failing-allroads-support-group-119431/)

tbeaulieu 11-25-2008 07:59 AM

Failing Allroads Support Group

The pattern is quite clear to me. We really love our Allroads.

Unfortunately, our Allroads walk all over us. Audi should be bludgeoned for producing such an irresponsibly expensive vehicle. To have put $20,000 down on a vehicle, paid $550/mo for 51 months and find myself with a vehicle worth $7,600, while owing $5,000 turns my stomache.

So, what do we do? Do we dump them and chaulk it up as a life lesson? Do we take matters into our own hands and learn how to fix them ourselves? Do we switch to leasing Audis, like the new Q5/Q7?

I've waffled 100 times over the past few months. I just ordered air springs and a front axle. I'm at least going to try to stick with the vehicle a bit longer. I still have to face the timing belt and a failing torque converter.

I really love this car, and it still looks, drives and feels great. How can it be worthless????

:mad:

incrementalg 11-25-2008 08:56 PM

How did you determine your car is worth $7,600? My wife and I have decided to buy used rides from now on. Let someone else take the hit on depreciation.

Ky allroad 11-26-2008 12:43 AM

Depreciation is tough on German luxury offbeat cars. My '01 allroad originally listed for 50K and I bought it a few months ago with 80 K miles for $9,300. We just bought an '05 Phaeton that had listed for over 70K with 35 thousand miles and remaining factory warranty for $24,500. Both cars had a tough time in the American market and stopped being imported due to poor sales.

mctavish11 11-26-2008 03:05 AM

i was lucky enough to trade mine back in for what i owed, which was about 9,650. although this was after i spent 1200 on water pump, timing belt, cam shaft seals, and another couple hundred on tie tod ends, o2 sensor, and something else i cant remember at the moment.

i went to like 3 dealerships where i go to school and the highest offer i got trade-in was $7000. i coulda possibly sold it for a decent amt. private party, but where i go to school is primarily ag and farm country, there isnt a large market for foreign high maintenance vehicles. So, when i found the deal on the xterra i have now along with the offer to pay my car off, i took it. couldnt risk not knowing when shit was gunna break, plus its nice now having something with low miles and a warranty, peace of mind is a good think for once :)

tbeaulieu 11-26-2008 07:06 AM

Exactly. I was foolish not to consider residual. To pay $48k on a vehicle that might not make it through payments is an incredibly bad purchase ($900/mo!). If the car lasted 8 years, the value improves. etc.

If I'm hit with more failures I might fold and hand it over, but at the moment I've decided to take matters into my own hands and attempt some of these repairs myself, with the help of a friend.

The fear of possible failures is my biggest concern. If I knew that dumping the $5,500 in repairs that the shop quoted would get the car back to perfect and it would be reliable for another 2-3 years, I'd jump on it. But, what if the turbos go in 3 months, or .. you get the picture.

Concentric190 11-26-2008 12:23 PM

I just purchaced my '03 6spd w/ 75k for 13k and already have to put money into it but I was expecting to have to do these things. I do the work on the car myself so its not that big of a hit just a PITA. I still don't think its all that bad, I like the car alot and doing these maintance items / upgrades only makes it better.

So far the car is getting 01 wiper arms, RS4 clutch, APR stg 1, K&N, sways, and DTS. When the brakes go I'll probably upgrade them, when suspension fails go with arnot, when timing belt goes change all the seals, wp, etc. When turbos go out get ko4's. Thats my plan at least.

I would have never baught it new for 50k though.

MYD WGN 11-27-2008 03:37 AM

By a V8 alot less problems

ccomengee86 11-30-2008 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by MYD WGN (Post 999240)

That's what i'm planning to do although it's a PITA to find one.

MYD WGN 11-30-2008 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by ccomengee86 (Post 1000393)
That's what i'm planning to do although it's a PITA to find one.

Have you tried here?
http://www.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/mash.cg...state=&ys=&ye=
http://www.audiusa.com/audi/us/en2/C...state=3&page=1

incrementalg 11-30-2008 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by MYD WGN (Post 999240)

I kinda want a 4.2. No engine trouble with my 2.7T, but it would be great not to worry about possible turbo failure or other 2.7T related issues.

There are still some good deals on low mileage 4.2s but you have to really look and maybe have to travel to see 'em.