Allroad Model Line Audi's take on the modern "Crossover" of a sport utility vehicle and a station wagon

Transmission decision: manual or auto

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 09:17 AM
2nd Gear
Default Transmission decision: manual or auto

I have started to search the market for an Allroad. Has to have the 2.7T (since power increase via turbo upgrade are a given in my next (turbo) car).

The upgrade will ideally be done in steps, starting with replacing the K03 with K04 (or custom K04 with larger compressor wheel and modified housing). Clean exhaust (no cats). Fuel and tune accordingly, not sure yet what to do with the intercoolers (I assume upgraded side mount are possible; need to check).

It its final stage, I envision similar power to the RS4 upgrade kits offered (say 450 crank HP).

With that said:
- I do like the convenience of the auto, but have experienced the 'performance/fun' sapping of auto trans in various cars (my A4 B5 1.8T manual feels twice as quick as my A4 B5 2.8 auto for example).
- How much can the auto in the 2.7T take (power, torque)? The trans in the RS6 is the same model (but an "A" added I think), but (from reading) has a larger torque converter and possibly other upgrades, different bell housing (mounting points). Aside that they likely are hard to come by and expansive, they may not fit. In other words: what will 450 hp, 450 lb*ft do to the auto trans? Can it be fortified (upgraded clutch packs, better cooling, etc.)?
- Aside from convenience, the manual has higher fun factor, can be adapted to handle the power (via Southbend or similar clutch upgrade). Biggest problem: market for manual Allroads is slim, makes finding a good deal nearby almost impossible (worse even to find rind color combo, mileage, year, etc.).

Old 01-09-2011, 10:54 AM
1st Gear
Default Allroad Manual

I just bought an '01 Allroad. I will be rebuilding the engine through 3zero3 Motorsports. Because the Allroad will be putting out close to 500HP at the crank when we're done, I had to go with a manual. Main reason, the Auto transmission can't deal with the power.

Check out http://www.3zero3motorsports.com/

Good luck.

PS: The manuals are hard to find which is another reason to get one. Worth more in the long run

Old 01-27-2011, 12:04 PM
1st Gear

If you're looking to build a high horsepower buggy you really should go with the manual. The automatic even behind a stock motor is one of the known weak points of the car. Torque converter problems and reverse problems. That said there is a guy/company that builds these autos to handle 400+ but I can't remember the name off the top of my head. Google it. When I was looking for my car, at any given time there was anywhere from 0-4 manuals within 300 miles of me and about 250 autos. So yes the manuals are rare but all the better for re-sale and fun factor. I had to compromise on color (bought black, vowed never to buy a black car again) because the car I bought was a 6 speed AND had a full dealer maintenance history.
The key to nabbing a manual is to be on the prowl EVERY DAY. I was on cars.com / autotrader / ebay / craigslist etc every darn day for almost a month. The one I bought didn't even have a picture posted yet and I checked it out that same morning. While I was signing the paperwork the sales guy got one e-mail about the car and one phone call about the car as well......

Old 01-27-2011, 12:26 PM
2nd Gear

I have "RS4+" power levels in mind (so call it 500 crank hp with the RS4 being tagged 450 hp and the 'kits' out there claiming 450-500 hp as well).
I have not found cars using the same ZF trans in that power level (aside from the RS6 with a modified ZF, but no details aside from larger torque converter).
I am sure there are some 'custom trans' guys out there that offer (at a steep price) the required modifications.
With that in mind, it seems manu is the only way to go, and continuing the hunt for the 'right' one.

I am still interested in the answer to the reverse question/experience: how much power/torque/engine mods has the auto trans successfully handled?

Old 01-27-2011, 07:31 PM
1st Gear

Is this going to be a weekend toy or a daily driver? If your goal is 500 HP at the crank, the clutch you're going to have to run in the car to hold up to that will not be very friendly for daily driving. Just something to keep in mind depending on what your use for the vehicle will be.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:52 AM
2nd Gear

Definately daily driver.
I had good look with the A4 1.8T upgrade from stock to Southbend Stage 3 clutch: Totally stock feeling yet substantial torque/power capability increase.

I haven't checked Southbend for their offerings for the 2.7T, but I am convinced that it can be found. Certainly, the RS4 clutch will do as well.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:16 AM
2nd Gear

Looks the stage 3 daily will do the trick (again), rated 480 torque

2 DAILY K70286-HD-O Need Flywheel Information $649.00 350

2 ENDURANCE K70286-HD-OFE SBC Flywheel Recommended $699.00 400

2 DRAG K70286F-DXD-B Kit includes Flywheel SBCF0504 $1400.00 470

3 DAILY K70286-SS-O Need Flywheel Information $900.00 480

3 ENDURANCE K70286-SS-TZ SBC Flywheel Recommended $950.00 525

3 DRAG K70286F-SS-DXD-B Kit includes Flywheel SBCF0504 $1600.00 550

4 EXTREEM K70286F-SS-X Kit includes Flywheel SBCF0504 $1700.00 600+

SBCF0504 Single Mass Steel Flywheel $699.00

Old 01-28-2011, 12:13 PM
1st Gear

Here is the best explaination I could find of what happens with reverse:

Ok here it is there are thoudands of these tiptronics zf trannies that this has happened to.In many cars not just audis there is a drum which houses the clutches for reverse gear, at leading edge of drum is a ring gear the wall was to thin and over time it splits drum cracks and cluth plates no longer will lock up. Tranny needs to be rebuilt and of course zf has a updated drum.

So there are updated parts to strengthen that part of the tranny. I believe there are also updated torque converters as well as that's the next weak link. Don't know how much HP/TQ a stock tranny can hold but I think it's a safe bet that they can't handle 450-500. So I would imagine you'll either have to pay for a purpose-built auto or find a manual car.

Old 12-01-2013, 09:13 PM
1st Gear

Level 10 transmissions in new jersey is building a trans for my 97 a4 1.8t and claiming that it will be able to handle 700+ hp when they are done with it.

Old 12-15-2013, 05:19 PM
1st Gear

Check out www.audis4parts.com they offer a complete 6-speed swap

Quick Reply: Transmission decision: manual or auto