Allroad Model Line Audi's take on the modern "Crossover" of a sport utility vehicle and a station wagon

What the real deal with the torque converter issue?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 09:59 AM
1st Gear
Exclamation What the real deal with the torque converter issue?

Ok guys, I got to get my ride though inspection, and I hope the reset is going to work. But, what is the real deal with this problem? Some say it's a glitch, other say it's critical. I've been going for 12 months with the error code, she's been driving fine. the check engine light comes and goes.
So, If I replace the converter, will it fail again? some say yes, that's just wack! anyone swapped out for the six speed manual? Love the allroad, it's my ideal ride, i want to keep and tweek it, some I got to get this right the first time.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:05 AM
1st Gear

Start with full fluid and filter replacement, and see where the TC goes. Some say the light stays off and shifts fine.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:31 AM
2nd Gear
Default Tiptronic TC lock up converter clutch code - cracked reverse gear D basket

Originally Posted by adeptsol
Ok guys, I got to get my ride though inspection, and I hope the reset is going to work. But, what is the real deal with this problem? Some say it's a glitch, other say it's critical. I've been going for 12 months with the error code, she's been driving fine. the check engine light comes and goes.
So, If I replace the converter, will it fail again? some say yes, that's just wack! anyone swapped out for the six speed manual? Love the allroad, it's my ideal ride, i want to keep and tweek it, some I got to get this right the first time.
If you have the TC 'lock up converter clutch open' code: the failure is caused by a bad seal in the TC; the lock-up clutch is not closing, so you driving with a bit of slip (a few percent; just like in the old days before TCs had lock up clutches). You can drive like that forever, unless the heat created by that (constant) extra slip kills your transmission (have Uhaul install a cheap extra tranny cooler?).

If you replace the TC with an upgraded model, it has the upgraded seal design and the problem should be fixed. A new TC is not expansive, but quite some labor to take tranny out to swap out the TC.

Next week point in the Tiptronic: reverse gear basket or D basket is weak and can crack, reverse slipping (I bought the upgraded aftermarket part (thicker wall); waiting to install in a few weeks).