Audi A2 This compact Audi A2 offers a lightweight aluminum structure which allows the small yet efficient engine to offer performance comparable to others in its class.

turn signal --- relay switch

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 09:21 AM
Default turn signal --- relay switch

Anybody know how to get to the relay switch in a 2002 A2?
I'm trying to replace it but have, so far, been unable to locate the thing.

Old 09-24-2005, 09:08 AM
Default RE: turn signal --- relay switch

My turn signals died yesterday (Audi A2 1.2TDI). Now also I'm trying to find, if the car has a relay switch for turn signals. I have here 'Audi A2 Workshop manual, Electrical system' and it does tell different locations of relay switches:

- 9-socket relay carrier behind driver's side storage compartment
- left A-pillar connection point in left footwell on A-pillar
- 6+6-socket relay carrier in left footwell under footwell floor
- 3-socket relay carrier in left footwell under footwell floow
- right A-pillar connection point in right footwell on A-pillar

But this manual doesn't tell which relay is which. It only refers to wiring diagram. Wiring diagrams are for sale at erwin (https://erwin.audi.com/erWinAudi/), but it costs 107 euros! Does anyone know more precise information about relay switch?

Old 10-26-2005, 07:37 PM
1st Gear
Default Location

The location of the hazzard/indicator relay is behind the stero and air con control unit, pull out the stero and air con unit and look down the back you will find a retangle box that is slid into a braket (prehaps to help you locate it switch on the hazzrads or indicator depending on which function has stoped working and listen you'll here it clicking)disconect the cable and pull out the unit and fit the new one. But belvive me it is quite tightly fitted and difficult to pull out just because of the angles.

Old 07-29-2006, 12:07 PM

I also have a problem getting at the indicator relay. How do you remove the stero and air con switches? Which tools? Any special tools? Can any special tools be made?

Old 09-05-2006, 08:04 AM

My relay has gone on the blink (), but I can't figure out how to get in to the console. Does it just pull out, or are there and fasteners to loosen first?

Old 09-07-2006, 10:01 AM

To remove the radio you will need two pieces of metal shaped like the detail in the attached file to slip into the slots in the bottom of the radio housing. The slots are approx 9mm wide and 1mm high. The metal pieces need to be a little smaller than the slots.
Once they have been pushed in approx 60 mm the barbs that hold the radio in will be released. Keeping the pressure on the two pieces of metal, pull the radio at any point you can get hold of (cassette slot).
It should be possible to do the above with one piece of metal by doing one side at a time.
Lay the radio to one side of the centre console still hanging by the wires.
Ease the air con panel out, releasing the barbs holding this with a screwdriver or the above pieces of metal. Some of the pulling and pushing may seem brutal but it is necessary.
Pull out the items box below the air con unit. Put your hand in and clench your fist to wedge your hand in and pull.
Access to the repeater unit ( part number 820 941 509 B)should now be in sight, to the rear of where the air con panel was.
On the right of the repeater unit remove the connector by squeezing the clips top and bottom and pulling to your right. This is mighty tight so will require a bit of effort and most likely skin.
The repeater unit needs to be slipped out of the bracket holding it by pushing the unit to the left to free it and extract it.
To fit it all together again, do the reverse.
Easy!

Old 09-07-2006, 04:48 PM

Bing007

Faultless description of the procedure - I just came in from doing it, so had already discovered all this by trial after buying a couple of european radio keys from Halfords!

I don't think there is anything much to add, except maybe if you have larger hands getting the electrical plug off the relay is easier if you slide the relay out a little to the left first. It was very reluctant to move until I rammed a philips driver under where the locating tang is, so it was free on one side, then with it across to the left I had enough room to get my hands on the plug and disengage it.

Thanks for the response, just too late to help me, but I'm sure others will benefit from it anyway.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:22 PM
1st Gear

AudiWorld blinker relay DIY - you will need radio keys to swap it. I actually just received my relay in the mail today...$48 shipped from genuinevwaudiparts.com

Old 05-21-2009, 08:41 AM
Default A2 Turn Signal Relay ref Bing007

Many thanks to Bing007 for very clear instructions on how to tackle this replacement ... there are a couple of extra points I would like to add.

I found that I could remove the stereo by using jig-saw blades ... I used some old metal blades that pushed in quite nicely and were firm enough to ease the unit out.

I found that the air con unit would not budge readily so I took out the cubby-hole ... first easing off the outer trim and then also unscrewed the ashtray as well. I found that having everything removed gave me a bit more flexibility.

Once everything is removed (left the aircon and stereo connected) I got first site of the relay ... it is pushed into a cage at the back behind where the aircon unit was ...

It is no joke, the relay plug is very tight ... you need to press in the 2 clips in and try to wriggle the plug free ... here is where taking the ashtray out helps ... Bing007 said the relay would slip out ... not mine ... it was a bugger ... and the annoying thing was that due to the wiring loom it I had to pull out the end of the relay on the slant ... not much of a problem coming out ... real pain going in.

I found that re-attaching the plug was easier when the relay was half way home in the bracket, but needed another push once the unit was fully home.

Reverse order for refit ... a bit of patience should ensure a damage free replacement, and used nothing more than the above mentioned blades and a screwdriver set. (although the ashtray does have 2 of those funny allen key type heads.

Start to finish in about 90 minutes ... and I guess I probably saved the best part of 80 to 100 quid.

Just think about that whilst you nurse your skinned wrists!

Originally Posted by Bing007
To remove the radio you will need two pieces of metal shaped like the detail in the attached file to slip into the slots in the bottom of the radio housing. The slots are approx 9mm wide and 1mm high. The metal pieces need to be a little smaller than the slots.
Once they have been pushed in approx 60 mm the barbs that hold the radio in will be released. Keeping the pressure on the two pieces of metal, pull the radio at any point you can get hold of (cassette slot).
It should be possible to do the above with one piece of metal by doing one side at a time.
Lay the radio to one side of the centre console still hanging by the wires.
Ease the air con panel out, releasing the barbs holding this with a screwdriver or the above pieces of metal. Some of the pulling and pushing may seem brutal but it is necessary.
Pull out the items box below the air con unit. Put your hand in and clench your fist to wedge your hand in and pull.
Access to the repeater unit ( part number 820 941 509 B)should now be in sight, to the rear of where the air con panel was.
On the right of the repeater unit remove the connector by squeezing the clips top and bottom and pulling to your right. This is mighty tight so will require a bit of effort and most likely skin.
The repeater unit needs to be slipped out of the bracket holding it by pushing the unit to the left to free it and extract it.
To fit it all together again, do the reverse.
Easy!

Old 09-10-2013, 08:33 AM
1st Gear

Hello everybody!

I have an A2 1.2 and I´m trying to replace the turn signal relay. As all of you said before, it´s very difficult to take out the relay holder (I can touch it). I supose that I should pess down two metal things (with two small screwdrivers??) which are on the right side of black relay holder and at the same time press it the right side.
I´m going to take some pics in order to complete this usefull information.
Any advise or recommendation to take it out without breaking the dashboard or damaging (more) my hands (skin)?

Many thanks

Quick Reply: turn signal --- relay switch