Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

!#$%$^%$#$ Open Sky !#@$!$^^

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 10:12 AM
1st Gear
Default !#$%$^%$#$ Open Sky !#@$!$^^

Well, today it finally started. On the way to work, barely even out of my driveway, bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz-rattle-rattle-bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. I can't quite pintpoint it, but pretty sure it's coming from the Open Sky area. I open it upwards to vent and it goes away. Close again and it's still there. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH! Still can't tell if it's in the headliner or on one end of the shade, but it's definitely not the glass panel itself.

Someone....anyone...any at-home fixes for the technically un-inclined? Places to check screws? Areas to lube? I JUST got the car back from the 5K service and I really want to avoid bringing it back just for this.

These things are why I got rid of my WRX. I shouldn't get this in an Audi.

Old 05-30-2007, 10:19 AM
Default RE: !#$%$^%$#$ Open Sky !#@$!$^^

its a new car take it back and let them sort it

Old 05-30-2007, 10:24 AM

2007 A3 3.2 Quattro S-Line, must be a newer model as its not listed on my software as an A3

Old 05-30-2007, 10:28 AM
1st Gear

I also have a 2007 with less than 5K miles... and have the same problem... but I think it is the glass.

Next time you hear the noise push and hold the glass up... that is the only time the noise stops for me!

I was waiting till my 5K service to have it dealt with cause it will be there in less than a month... but if you find an easy way to solve the problem, please let me know!

Old 05-30-2007, 10:39 AM

hmmmm I can imagine this being a recall issue ( vibration means a none tight fit ) so could be a water ingress problem for the future?

Old 05-30-2007, 11:11 AM
1st Gear

Definitely not the glass panel itself...tried the push/hold up deal. It's also more of a plasticky noise.

Old 05-30-2007, 11:38 AM
1st Gear

I have heard a buzz that seems to come from the leading edge of the mesh when the top is fully open. Disappears when I close it just a notch or just in vent position. Don't seem to hear anythng when the top is closed, tho.

Old 05-30-2007, 11:41 AM
1st Gear

So far only audible when glass is closed. Loudest when shade is is unrolled, maybe not quite as loud when retracted (but could be my imagination).

Old 05-30-2007, 03:00 PM
2nd Gear

There's a TSB for the buzz. The dealership will touch several adjusting screws to have the open sky glass have a tighter seal to the rubber.

Edit:

Here's the TSB # - A600601 TB AUDI Wind Noise And/Or Buzzing Noise In Sliding Roof

Old 05-30-2007, 04:37 PM
1st Gear

Don't try to fix it yourself, just take it into the service center. When I got my new A3, the glove compartment rattled because of a loose bolt underneath. Since I had a guy installing my ipod kit for me, I asked him to tighten it. It was fine for 6 months but when it started to rattle again, I took it in to Audi. The guys there tried to blame it on my ipod installer (which is b/s because it ws making noises right off the lot!![:@]). I finally reasoned with them, but the point is, don't mess with it yourself and possibly give them any reason to void your warranty.

Quick Reply: !#$%$^%$#$ Open Sky !#@$!$^^