Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

!#$%$^%$#$ Open Sky !#@$!$^^

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 07:46 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: !#$%$^%$#$ Open Sky !#@$!$^^

Agree with tonicboy 100% about fixing an A3 that is under warranty.

Old 05-31-2007, 09:13 AM
1st Gear

I opted not to select OpenSky for my 3.2 S-Line in efforts to save weight and reduce complexity. Unless one truly loves feeling the breeze/sunshine on their head, it's easier to maintain a traditional solid automobile roof.

Old 05-31-2007, 10:41 AM
1st Gear

I caved in and emailed the stealership this morning. They told me the tech who would be working on it (the same guy who did my 5K mile service) is on vacation and the soonest they could take me would bein 2 weeks. Is it just me and my impatience to have a quiet caragain, or is that a little weak?

Old 05-31-2007, 12:43 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: drumdork03

I caved in and emailed the stealership this morning. They told me the tech who would be working on it (the same guy who did my 5K mile service) is on vacation and the soonest they could take me would be in 2 weeks. Is it just me and my impatience to have a quiet car again, or is that a little weak?
Well just remember back in November you were debating whether opensky was worth it. From a reliability point opensky has always had some minor problems that could be immediately addressed by minor servicing at dealer.

Old 05-31-2007, 01:09 PM
1st Gear

drumdork03, is there another Audi technician who would be available in the meantime or do you prefer one particular one because of his skills? If that's the case, tell your trusted technician you had the car into the dealership during his vacation for an issue that was driving you batty. I don't think it would be perceived as an insult or anything. For basic warranty work, you could also call other dealerships to see if they have a timeslot. Dealerships LOVE to do this kind of labor.

Old 05-31-2007, 03:19 PM
1st Gear

The next closest dealership is 90 minutes away, and it's actually this particular dealership that wants me only working with one technician. Taking her in on the 13th (that's not a good sign) and insisting on riding with the tech so they don't pull that 'could not replicate' BS.

So back in November I was worried about Open Sky, yet convinced the car wouldn't be the same without it and didn't want to wait 3 months for a special order at the time. So my lapse of practicality and patience just bit me in the a$$. The kicker: I'm actually no longer sure it's coming from the Open Sky...the noise seems to be somewhere different every direction I turn my ears. Tinny, high-pitched buzzing on even slightly washboard roads.

Old 05-31-2007, 04:13 PM
1st Gear

I once had an intermittent buzzy sound that would occasionally happen in a different car I owned. As it turns out, as I would finish my soda, the aluminum can became light enough that it could vibrate imperceptibly in the beverage holster. That is the reason I didn't hear it all the time. Is it possible that it could be anything in the spare tire carrier, glovebox, center console, change container, map pockets, or something that has fallen underneath the front seats? It would be fantastic if that turns out to be the cause of the tinny sound! Good luck.

Old 05-31-2007, 04:15 PM
1st Gear

Also, does the pitch/volume change with increasing speed? As a drummer/drumdork, you're probably pretty tuned-in to stuff like that!

Old 05-31-2007, 06:12 PM
1st Gear

The first thing I did to halt anything I could was to tap around under the headliner and under the glass panes to see if anything vibrated. After that, I emptied the glovebox, took out the hatch privacy cover, put the seats down and back up again, roll the windows down and up again then put down the backseat armrest/drink holder (something tells me that will eventually just be trouble with all the moving plastic parts). Tapped around the B-pillars since the seatbelt tensioners are known culprits and have buzzed for me quietly on occasion.

Inside the cabin, the only things I keep in my car are the floor mats, roll-up windshield shade and a couple of napkins. The only thing I haven't done is grab a flashlight and troll around under the seats.

Old 06-10-2007, 12:21 AM
1st Gear

It's probably your sunshade and the cheap plastic tab that "locks" it into place. mine buzzed too, whether I had it open or closed. immediately fixed by dealer, no problem.

Quick Reply: !#$%$^%$#$ Open Sky !#@$!$^^