Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

2.0T DSG or 3.2Q thread #967

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 06:33 PM
1st Gear
Default 2.0T DSG or 3.2Q thread #967

Hey, I'm a WRX wagon owner looking to move up in quality, and the A3 is just about everything I'd need. I've already seen a number of threads here with newbies like me asking which trim to get. I've had to either hunt in 100 different posts to find the answers or deal with abbreviations and jargon I don't understand...all i know is that 99.9% are recommending the 2.0T over the 3.2Q Yep, my Subie is almost completely stock, and I am absolutely clueless when it comes to tuning. Due to my snowboarding hobby and the fact that the 2.0 would be a downgrade in power, the quattro has been appealing in itself and based on numbers.

I've also read the 2.0 DSG is only a second slower stock 0-60 but the 5-60 times are identical. I've also heard the 3.2 liter is not really an Audi engine and the Quattro is not the same as on the higher end cars. Truth to any of this, or experiences? What are the implications? I have only test driven the 3.2 so far but will be going back to try both out.

My dealership will send a 2.0T to an outside vendor for flashing; they said they have done it many times and there has been no warranties voided because of it. According to them, they would only not cover any issues with a chip itself or installation and everything else would remain. Should I trust this? I am, afterall, dealing with salespeople.

My concerns with flashing the 2.0 are 1) does more hp and torque affect the lifespan of the engine, drivetrain or DSG, 2) can it cause problems for any other components, and 3) exactly how will emissions and fuel economy be affected? I'm especially concerned about causing problems with something as sophisticated as DSG...I hear it can't handle hard torque and I definitely don't want to end up with just a ridiculous amount of torque steer.

This is my first post in the is forum and probably the longest post I'll ever make. I hope I can get all my answers here, in one place, and in laymans terms. Thanks for reading.

Old 09-27-2006, 06:50 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: 2.0T DSG or 3.2Q thread #967

Either way you can't go wrong. The 3.2 is actually a VW engine, but most who have it say its nice. I think the quattro may also be a VW or downgraded version of the standard Audi quattro based on the A3s smaller size. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. The warrenty thing I think is suspect, I wouldn't take the dealer at their word and would be prepared to deal with issues just incase, however I have heard of some quirkiness with chipping but once the car sets in, it usually smooth sailing. That being said, for you my friend it comes down to 3 questions.

1. If you have to mod do the 2.0T it will push numbers like the 3.2 easily, but in my test drive the 3.2 was alot smoother. But still, virtually no performance mods for the 3.2.
2. Do you have to have quattro, 3.2 is the only one with it in the U.S.
3. Price, I think the diff between the two is like 5 or 6 Gs. Can you afford that if everything else points towards the 3.2. Also consider regular maintance which is probably a heck of a lot more expensive than the Subie.

My recommendation is to answer those questions for yourself than test drive both. But like I said you can't go wrong either way.

Old 09-27-2006, 07:04 PM
1st Gear

Thanks! Forgot to mention that after pricing each trim with all of the options I'd like, the difference is around 3-4K in price. Subie service is cheaper, but mine has been problematic and has spent more time getting warranty-related service than a Subie should. I'd be ok with the numbers on either car and would get the 2007 service contract as well.

Old 09-27-2006, 07:14 PM
1st Gear

first off, are you an auto driver looking for the DSG or are you a 5-speed driver looking for DSG? auto -> DSG is the best switch you'll ever make. manual to DSG will come down to a personal preference thing, and you MUST drive both, i did and it changed my mind back to manual for me.
Once you make that decision, you will know if the 3.2 even appeals to you anymore, since its DSG only. if you are ok with DSG, then you should next decide if modding is important to you. If you stay 100% stock, and the price of the 3.2 doesn't scare you off, then it very well may be the car for you. but with just a chip, the 2.0T will outrun a 3.2, and there's not much you can do to the 3.2 to gain power without some serious investment. A3's quattro IS different from the A4's and other audi's because it's a transverse engine. it's basically still a FWD car until it slips then it directs power to the rear. no true 50/50 split like you'd be used to from the WRX.
Drive the 2.0T at least once, cause for a FWD car it drives very nicely. excessive wheel spin is kept down by the ESP system in cornering, and even chipped i can't notice any torque steer at all. Of course more HP and torque will cause more wear on the motor when you use it, its more power and more strain on the components. Everything i've read and see though points to it not being excessive by any means, in manual or DSG.

Old 09-28-2006, 06:40 PM
1st Gear

I wasn't aware that the A3 Quattro was not full-time...the test drive certainly felt like it was, but that could have well been the sheer weight of the car. As far as the 3.2 being a VW engine, would there be any potential reliability issues?

Old 09-28-2006, 07:04 PM
1st Gear

i could be wrong...but i've been lead to believe it's a FWD biased system, heavily biased at that, not to say it wont work well, i never drove one so i don't know. As far as being a VW engine, the 2.0T could be considered a VW engine as well. Heck, the whole car is just a VW GTI with different sheet metal and interior design. Thats not a bad thing either, just a fact of life. All i can say for sure is I really enjoy my 2.0T manual and wouldnt trade it for a 3.2 unless it was in manual, then MAYBE. If only they still made the 2.7T and offered that as a choice... that would be awesome in quattro!

Old 09-28-2006, 09:08 PM
2nd Gear

Just to chime in on a couple of points you wanted advice on.

Chipping or flashing your computer i dont think will get you in trouble?
After i chipped my A3 2.0 i had to go back to the dealer for wheel locks that i got free from my salesman.
During this visit the sales manager came out there and asked me if i had already gone to the APR shop to get chipped.
If the mgr. is aware of the aftermarket stuff going on it must be some what ok. FYI my dealer does have an motosport division they had just opened, my car was the first to be sold with all the mods. Long storie short ask and get it in writing.

You said you hadn't driven the DSG 2.0 yet, once you do that please write back and let us know what you think.
I think its engineering at its best nothing like it .

Old 09-28-2006, 10:02 PM
SoCal Crew Member

The 2.0T FSI is an Audi engine because it was developed by Audi, and Audi has used it in Europe since the new A3 came out there in late 2003 as a 2004 model, before it made it to other VW models. Just like the 1.8T (with its 5 valve per cylinder setup) was first developed and used by Audi before VW models got it. The 3.2 is a VW engine because it is a VW VR6 engine. (The VR6 layout was developed by VW.) As falcompsx points out, the Quattro used in the A3 is different from other Audi's because of the engine layout. In other words, it is akin to VW's 4motion system. It is a full time 4WD system, but it is FWD-biased, i.e., by default, most of the torque drives the front wheels, whereas in other Audi's, by default the torque is distributed equally front/rear.

Old 09-28-2006, 10:42 PM
1st Gear

thanks for clearing that up a3_yuppie...i knew i was close. didn't realize the 2.0T originated as an Audi motor, but still what's the difference? Audi/VW are the same company basically aren't they? Just like Honda/Acura and Toyota/Lexus, etc...

Old 09-29-2006, 05:56 PM

Falcompsx-
Just beacause they are the same company doesnt mean they have the same R&D departments. Audi is fairly independent of VW on the drawing board phase, and any innovations made between the two car companies' respective departments are shared, but it was Audi that came up with the 2.0T FSI technology. (good example is to watch the video on Audiusa.com , they explain it well.)

This is how I understood the 2.0T from my salesperson; someone please correct me if I/he are wrong.

Quick Reply: 2.0T DSG or 3.2Q thread #967