Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

2006 A3 DSG or Manual?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 04:00 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: 2006 A3 DSG or Manual?

Yeah, that what I took the test drive in. sorry if I wasn't clear.

Old 04-19-2006, 09:02 AM

I test drove both the dsg and the manual. I got the manual a3 and now wish I would have gone with the dsg because in retrospect the dsg actually IS faster than the maual, plus I live in a city and it's become a pain to have the 6 speed (dont get me wrong, i still LOVE my car)

Old 04-21-2006, 12:50 AM

I think that the question isn't any different that choosing whether you prefer a manual or automatic transmission.

I've driven both transmissions in the GTI and A3. The DSG is by far the most unique offering for this car and will definitely gain it's reward during resale. The DSG also shifts very smoothly and quicker than the manual, but how often will you be running a DSG car manually? The majority of your driving will be in fully automatic mode. So back to my original point, do you want to shift through your gears or use an automatic? I think you're good to choose either one, just understand yourself and be true to what you want. Also, I think there needs to be a determination on the torque capacity of the DSG if you plan on doing mods. I was led to believe that it won't do well over 300lbs of torque? Not sure if that figure is true, but definitely worth investigating if modding is in your game plan.

BTW, I love my manual transmission and wouldn't trade it for the DSG.

Choose wisely, for while the right car will bring you much joy, driving the wrong car surely won't.

Cheers!

Chef

Old 04-22-2006, 08:50 PM
1st Gear

Forget the DSG.

I have a 3.2 with the DSG (the only transmission offered with the V6). I'd recommend the manual tranny on the 2.0. I find it much more enjoyable to use a clutch pedal. While the DSG can best me with fast, smooth shifting in gears 2 through 6, it can't in first gear engagement, which is anything but smooth. The thrill of using the paddles on my 3.2 wore off quickly. The experience is non-involving and way too remote. Further, nail the throttle and the car will automatically upshift at redline. If you're in a high-enough gear, punch the throttle and the DSG will kick down a gear or two.

For driving enthusiasts, here's a test. What word doesn't belong in the folowing sentence: My manual transmission automatically upshifts and kicks down.

One last nit. If you use the DSG in automatic mode ("D"), prepare to be in sixth gear in the first five seconds of driving. "Sport" mode offers a far better experience.

Interestingly, I would only recommend the DSG with 3.2. Why? Because the 3.2 weighs as much as a Five-Series BMW sedan!!. Unless Audi can pump more HP into the 3.2, or put its Quattro models on a weight loss plan, a traditional manual would make this car even slower. For a car with a respectable 0 to 60 time of 5.9 seconds, the 3.2 simply doesn't feel that strong (IMO). If Subaru can get 300HP and 300/lb/ft TQ, out of a 2.5 liter turbocharged 4-banger, why can't Audi get more grunt out of its V6?

Get the 2.0 A3 manual tranny, chip it, get a good aftermarket rear swaybar, and have a blast.

Old 04-22-2006, 09:13 PM
2nd Gear

DSG man def.

Old 04-23-2006, 04:57 AM
T2T
1st Gear

I tested several DSG A3's before buying my 6 speed manual. I was impressed with the technology aspects but I couldn't get past the sudden boost in speed just prior to the transmission shifting. The DSG is faster but the feel and the uneven accelaration drove me to buying the manual.

Old 04-24-2006, 01:05 AM

ORIGINAL: sly15

Hey,
I went to a couple of Audi dealers looking at the A3 2.0T. I love the car, it looks awesome. I just dont know whether to go with the standard manual shift or with the DSG. Any suggestions????
It's funny when these type of questions are asked. Poor ole sly15 is probably even more confused know. I'd say you go into the dealer put the blinders on and follow your own heart. You're going to be driving your car so test both types and you'll know which you want. Lead never follow!

BTW, I personally have the DSG. I don't say it's better or worse, but it's what I, let me repeat the I, I have because of personal needs.[sm=alcoholic.gif]

Old 05-07-2006, 01:43 AM

I think the only way to convert manual AND automatic lovers to DSG is to:
1. provide a clutch pedal that can give additional clutching control if they want for the corners and launch control.
2. the option not to use the clutch thus giving ultra fast 8ms shifting (BMW and Ferarri "SMG style" shifting is a slow 60ms to 150ms).
3. same weight as a standard manual tranny
4. an auto mode that will shift for you during your 1 hour "bumper to bumper"/"stop and go" commute to and from work.
5. other wishes?

Old 05-07-2006, 02:04 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: haulin79

I think the only way to convert manual AND automatic lovers to DSG is to:
1. provide a clutch pedal that can give additional clutching control if they want for the corners and launch control.
2. the option not to use the clutch thus giving ultra fast 8ms shifting (BMW and Ferarri "SMG style" shifting is a slow 60ms to 150ms).
3. same weight as a standard manual tranny
4. an auto mode that will shift for you during your 1 hour "bumper to bumper"/"stop and go" commute to and from work.
5. other wishes?
Sorry, wouldn't convert me. I enjoy my manual transmissions regardless of whether I'm on a two lane mountain twisty or sitting in NYC bumper to bumper traffic. Why would I want to spend my money on all of that extra complexity when everything that I want/need/desire is already provided by a manual transmission?