2006 A3 Sunshades - Page 3 - AudiForums.com

Go Back  AudiForums.com > Audi Models > Audi A3
2006 A3 Sunshades >

2006 A3 Sunshades

Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

2006 A3 Sunshades

Old 08-05-2018, 06:55 PM
Default Also looking for sun shade bow

2006 A3 Premium package. Front and rear bow. VIN attached.

Attached Files
File Type: txt
vin.txt (17 Bytes, 7 views)
Old 08-28-2018, 01:36 PM
1st Gear
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by lifeasandythompson View Post
2006 A3 Premium package. Front and rear bow. VIN attached.
Just search on the part number. There are a number of sites that have them. For some reason, the black ones are a good $15~20 cheaper than the gray/silver ones.

Incidentally, I did fix mine last year and it held... for about a year. The UV rays and heat were ultimately no match for the adhesive and it broke again. I tried it once more using a high grade epoxy, but the problem is the nature of the stress points where it broke. I even tried incorporating pins to help provide some structure, and it didn't work. All in all, I've probably wasted more time trying to fix it versus spending the $$ and buying a replacement bow. If it turns out the design hasn't changed and the clips are still plastic, it may make sense to "think ahead" and add a coating of something like JB Weld or similar to provide structural support and UV shielding so that the plastic won't break again.

The other alternative is to rig up some magnets. I did this for the armrest and going on 2 years it's working perfectly... and a better solution than the cheap clip.

Old 08-28-2018, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by absoluteA3 View Post
Just search on the part number. There are a number of sites that have them. For some reason, the black ones are a good $15~20 cheaper than the gray/silver ones.

Incidentally, I did fix mine last year and it held... for about a year. The UV rays and heat were ultimately no match for the adhesive and it broke again. I tried it once more using a high grade epoxy, but the problem is the nature of the stress points where it broke. I even tried incorporating pins to help provide some structure, and it didn't work. All in all, I've probably wasted more time trying to fix it versus spending the $$ and buying a replacement bow. If it turns out the design hasn't changed and the clips are still plastic, it may make sense to "think ahead" and add a coating of something like JB Weld or similar to provide structural support and UV shielding so that the plastic won't break again.

The other alternative is to rig up some magnets. I did this for the armrest and going on 2 years it's working perfectly... and a better solution than the cheap clip.
So you replaced the the bow or the clips?

Old 08-29-2018, 10:00 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by lifeasandythompson View Post
So you replaced the the bow or the clips?
You can't replace just the clip. It's not sold as a separate part. The bow comes with the clip, but the cost for it ranges from $110~140, depending upon the color and where you buy it.

Another thing that wears out are the guide caps. The guides are the plastic arms that extend from the bow and run along the side channels. The guide "caps" are low friction material and affix to the guides so that the bow can glide. But they erode over time. One of mine fell apart and the other one is looking like it's ready to do the same. So if you replace the bow on yours, be sure to get the guide caps.

Last edited by absoluteA3; 08-29-2018 at 10:22 PM.