Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

2006 Audi A3 2.0T Manual, Hesitating When Accelerating (+)

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 05:27 PM
1st Gear
Question 2006 Audi A3 2.0T Manual, Hesitating When Accelerating (+)

Hey everyone,

I am super new to this forum but have been reading around for a little while now. I recently (back in January) bought a 2006 Audi A3 2.0T (manual transmission) and haven't had a problem until now.

I took the car on a road trip from Boston to Florida and didn't have a single problem the whole time. When I arrived and drove around today the car began stuttering while accelerating. It was as though the clutch would let go and no power would transfer to the engine. I could push the pedal to the floor and nothing would happen, until moments later it would jump "back on" and regain power. This mostly happens in first gear, but I found it to happen in all gears.

There is a wrench indicator next to my milage and when I pull in the pin it shows the number "-900" next to it, and when the circular dial indicator blinks on the number "-2" is displayed.

I have read a bit on here and there seem to be a few suggested diagnoses, but I wasn't sure if anyone on here could tell me if they have had this problem or if you have any suggestions on solving the issue.

Thanks a lot!

Old 10-03-2012, 07:46 PM
2nd Gear

I cannot diagnose the problem for you without having the car here. However I can give you a few things to check.
First see if you can pull the codes from your car, preferably from someone with a vag-com. This will help to pinpoint the issue.

For now all I can think of is the known issue with the cam follower that seems to fit the trouble you are facing. Sure there are other possibilities but without knowing the trouble codes it's wild guessing at this point.

I really hope that if the issue is your cam follower that it's not to late yet. Once that things wears out your cam and high pressure fuel pump goes bye bye (dealership charges like 1500$ for that fix). If it's early enough you can replace the cam follower for only 50 bucks yourself.

Edit/update:
Found a very good link for the cam follower DIY - http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-s...wer-s3-8p.html
Just in case you want to look into that. Otherwise provide some additional information on the issue so we can start chasing it down.

Edit 2:
Found another known issue that could cause your trouble: damaged diverter valve. This also fits your symptoms very good. Audi has a new revision out for their DV's which lasts longer and that fix is only 80$ if you DIY. Here a link how to do it/check it with installation instructions for a forge (if you don't want to keep the OEM) - http://tadasauce.wordpress.com/2010/...valve-install/

Last edited by sheldon; 10-03-2012 at 08:08 PM. Reason: added exernal link