Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

2007 Audi A3 2.0 COOLING FAN ISSUES

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 02:18 AM
1st Gear
Default 2007 Audi A3 2.0 COOLING FAN ISSUES

Hey guys new to this forum seeing if I can get some help here.

I have 2007 Audi A3 2.0L Automatic, a few weeks ago the main cooling fan started making some noise , with the car off I spinned the fan by hand and noticed some resistance so I new the fan bearing or fan itself was going bad.

As I drove it home it went out and stop working car overheated. But I made it home.

I replaced the fan with a new one and have read that the fan control module is integrated into the fan I replaced.

Since replacing I cannot get the fan to turn on at all. Ive ran the car and made sure it gets warm. Once the thermostat opens the car starts to overheat and the fan never turns on. Only thing I can think of is that when the fan went out it shorted something out but Ive checked all fuses and relays and they check good. I also don't have any warning lights turning on regarding the cooling system.

Any insight here is appreciated

Thanks

Old 10-28-2016, 05:33 PM
2nd Gear

The control module for the fan(s) is in/on the fan assembly by the drivers side Fan. If you replaced just the fan - you still need to replace the control module.
Sometimes it is as simple as a bad fuse (check by the battery) - but if that's good the next likely suspect is the fan module.

Good luck!

Old 10-29-2016, 01:34 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by sheldon
The control module for the fan(s) is in/on the fan assembly by the drivers side Fan. If you replaced just the fan - you still need to replace the control module.
Sometimes it is as simple as a bad fuse (check by the battery) - but if that's good the next likely suspect is the fan module.

Good luck!
I replaced the entire fan assembly with a new module on it , all fuses check out ok but I could not find anywhere in the Manuel a specific fuse just for the fans , either way checked all of them and all ok . Do you know if there is a sensor that sends a signal to that module to activate the fan ?

Old 10-29-2016, 07:33 PM
2nd Gear

At this point I recommend getting a Ross-Tech cable with VCDS to diagnose the issue (or find someone who can help). The first 2 things I would have guessed you already checked: Fuses and Fan assembly with fan control module.

There are a few things responsible for the computer to turn on the fans so it is possible some other sensor is bad and therefore the computer doesn't deem it necessary to run the fans.

When you checked the fuses - did you actually pull it out and test it or just looked over it? From my limited research it looks like fuse F8 would be a good place to start.

edit:
What happens when you turn on the A/C? Does it even turn on and do the fans turn on? They usually should start (at least the AC one) when you turn on the AC. That would give you a pointer if the assembly is even getting any power to operate.

Last edited by sheldon; 10-29-2016 at 07:38 PM.