Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

2008 A3, 3.2 DSG take-off lag hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 05:09 PM
Default 2008 A3, 3.2 DSG take-off lag hesitation

Took my new A3 in for routine service and mentioned they should
check the tranny for take-off lag, lurch, hesitation from a dead
stop but ONLY when the car is at normal operating temperature.
It's bad enough to spill coffee in your lap or loose a race when
split seconds count.

Long story made short this is the 3rd time I've made mention of it
but this is the first time the dealer actually called me and CONFIRMED
there is a problem. Might be a temperature sensor or a fouled up
"hill assist" thing or something else, but they finally owned up to it
and intend to do something about it.

Hope this helps anyone out there experiencing the same problem.
Don't let the dealer tell you, "Ah, that's just how the DSG works."

Newbie here, so please don't slam me to hard for not doing 40 hours
of research before posting. All I could find on the topic was this:
https://www.audiforums.com/forum/sho...ght=hesitation

Old 08-06-2008, 09:54 PM
1st Gear

Amp - my experience is running on a stock setup the throttle response is pretty poor. I understand not everyone will chip there car but one major benefit of doing so is you can adjust the throttle response. The difference before and after for me was enormous and I know what you mean by the lag. What has the dealer said they are going to do for you?

Old 08-07-2008, 04:49 PM
Default 2008 A3, 3.2 DSG take-off lag hesitation

Originally Posted by Cain_1972
Amp - my experience is running on a stock setup the throttle response is pretty poor. I understand not everyone will chip there car but one major benefit of doing so is you can adjust the throttle response. The difference before and after for me was enormous and I know what you mean by the lag. What has the dealer said they are going to do for you?
Dealer just called and said the parts (a sensor and module) costing over $4k must be ordered from Germany and installed once it arrives. Note the car ONLY exhibited the lag once warmed up, aside from that it is mighty perky and highly responsive. So again the problem is real, not some DSG thing we're supposed to live with.

Cain_1972 - I'm interested in the chip you mentioned but am not too savy on such things. Could you let me know exactly what I would need and where to buy it please? Thanks in advance.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:25 PM
1st Gear

Hey Amp - good to hear you have a solution the dealer will own up to. And I agree even at stock the car is highly responsive. The chip will take things to the next level. The chip I am referring to that most seem to use on both the 2.0T and 3.2 is made by Revo. I am in Boston, MA so I can't help you on recommending a local dealer but if you go to the Revo website I think you can find some options or others hear may recommend SF based options. The chip is really just a software change to your ECU that adjusts settings on throttle, air/fuel ratio and timing. On the 2.0 turbo instead of timing I believe the setting that is changes is boost. Now it is true the impact of this software on the 3.2 is less than on a turbo but I found it to be worth it. To get the most out of the modifcation to the ECU though you really need to get a better exhaust as the stock exhaust is too bottled up. I went with Miltek but there are other options. You don't have to do the exhaust though I just wanted you to know the gains will be higher with the exhaust as an engine is basically a pump so you got to get air in and get it out more effectively to increase power. Hope this helps.
Link to Revo:
http://www.revotechnik.com/

If you wouldn't mind would you tell me what specific part and sensor they are ordering as I am interested to ask my dealer about it and whether they have also seen this problem.

Old 08-08-2008, 10:44 AM

Cain_1972 wrote: "If you wouldn't mind would you tell me what specific part and sensor they are ordering as I am interested to ask my dealer about it and whether they have also seen this problem."

Cain, now that I have some paperwork in hand... the comments state: "Concern verified, no DTC's found, contacted techline was advised to replace valve unit - FP No. 02E-325-025-AD=ZBC (Mechatron), special order." I was told its not that an expensive part really but the install labor will keep my baby in the shop 2 days. Should be well worth the wait and I'm relieved this dealer is honest enough to fix the problem unlike the place where I bought the car.
And thanks for the REVO info. I assume chipping and exhaust would null the warranty so I'll hold off until I get at least 40,000 miles... that should be late '09 if not sooner.
Thanks again Cain!

Old 08-11-2008, 07:52 PM
1st Gear

Thanks Amp for the info. I am sure the 2 day wait will be worth it and you'll be back rolling in no time. Regarding the revo/exhaust and warranty, that is a topic of much discussion here so I won't say I represent what everyone believes or that I have it right but I"ll give you my high level view. For starters there are federal laws that deal with warranties of all products. The relevant area in this situation is under the Magnussan Moss act (I might have the spelling wrong but you can google) and it stipulates essentially for a manufacturer to void a warranty or even portion of the warranty they have to be able to prove or show clear evidence that an act had a direct bearing on the failure of the product or component of the product. So in other words if you put in a cold air intake and the stearing goes the dealer is not going to mess with you or they legally are not supposed to be able to. If on the other hand you get a MAF (mass air flow) sensor issue they very well could give you a hard time as the connection between the cold air intake is more clear in that case. As far as Revo goes with a switch you can set the ECU back to stock and nobody knows the difference (on a turbo I hear they might be able to see the boost levels have been high but I am not sure about that). So to be safe wait, but I just wanted to point out many of us on the board here have gone with Revo and an exhaust and not run into problems but I am not speaking for others just saying what I have observed.