Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

2008 vs. 2007 Subtle differences...

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 07:35 PM
1st Gear
Default 2008 vs. 2007 Subtle differences...

I haven't made a post in a while, still daydreaming about my Audi-European-Delivery Vacation back in early October. It was nice to finally get the car from shipping just a few weeks ago. I'm really liking the S-Line compared to not having it on my previous 2007 (that was stolen and totaled.)

After driving the car around I've noticed some subtle differences between the model years.

OF course there are obvious ones;
[ul][*]TPS system now standard,[/ul][ul][*]New wheel configurations,[/ul][ul][*]Titanium package offered, (don't have it, but think it's a bargain.)[/ul]But there are more;
[ul][*]On the NAV system, no longer to I have to accept the disclaimer every single time you turn the car on. I do believe I saw it the first time, but no more. This is very nice indeed. It was annoying to always accept that when you turned the car on.[*]I think the colors are a little different on the displays on the NAV system, can't say specifically what, but menus are a little different too.[*]The NAV software has been upgraded. Most notably the graphics of highways are of higher resolution and actually change the number of lanes they show when doing a merger. For example, it shows two, three, or four lanes depending on how wide your highway is.[*]No first aid kit?! There was no first aid kit in the rear armrest. Salesman told me that they do not provide it anymore. Is this true? Or is just because I went to Germany and it didn't go through normal channels.[*]No rear storage netting in top trunk cover by grocery hooks. Again, Salesman told me they do not provide that anymore. Anyone else?[*]I swear that the BOSE system sounds much better. I frequently complained about the quality before, but now it really seems to have a cleaner, more dynamic sound.
[/ul]
Anyone else notice anything?

Old 01-10-2008, 10:58 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: 2008 vs. 2007 Subtle differences...

I have an 07 an it didn't come with the cargo net. Did I get ripped? [/align]

Old 01-10-2008, 11:37 PM
1st Gear

Can you toggle through your presets the steering wheel controls? Can't do it on my '08 and wondering if you can. Hoping that was a glitch with the early '08's that has since been fixed.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:50 AM
1st Gear

I've had my '08 for about 3 weeks and no first aid kit and no rear storage netting in top trunk cover by grocery hooks. Sounds like you got the same A3 I did.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:54 AM
2nd Gear

My '07 didn't come with a storage net either.

Regarding the stereo's sound quality, perhaps the Nav unit does have some sort of internal upgrade. The non-Nav Concert stereo is new in '08, right?

The lack of a first aid kit is really poor on Audi's part, especially when they pride themselves on safety...

Old 01-11-2008, 01:17 PM
1st Gear

I did not recieve a cargo net in my 07 either, but it does let me scroll through the presets on my radio from my steering wheel.

Old 01-11-2008, 10:42 PM
1st Gear

2008s do NOT have cargo net, first aid kit or hazard triangle as standard. They now cost about $100 as a package. Also: no free maintenance program as of about a half-year ago -- it is now about $600 for maintenace visits at 15, 25, 35 and 45 after the first (free)5K oil change.

Old 01-12-2008, 12:09 AM
1st Gear

wow so audicare makes you pay for the maintenance now for the 08's? very lamee

Old 01-12-2008, 12:55 AM

First of all, say hi to all of audi owner.
My new A3 3.2 has been ordered and schedule for delivery end of this month. I can't wait to put my Porsche in garage and drive A3 every day to my office.

My sale guy also told me audi care is now optional and no longer provided by Audi unless I pay $$$.
But still, what are the basic care that Audi will give me when I do need? warranty is still same as usual 50K/4 year as other car manufactures?
Thank you all.

Old 01-12-2008, 11:03 AM
1st Gear

There are 3 reasons for buyers to consider paying for the maintenance: (1) it assures that if something goes wrong under warranty Audi won't challenge paying for it since the maintenance was done by them; (2) the package still beats the inflated cost of service that Audi dealerships charge on a visit-by-visit basis; and (3) if you want to sell the car and claim it was maintained by a dealership to help in selling, you can do it. If you want to know what the exat maintenance schedule for Audi vehicles are, go to the PDFs stored at http://www.bentleypublishers.com/tech/audi/.

If you have a good mechanic, do your own maintenance or intend to sell the car within a year or two, it's not worth it. If you bundle it under a lease, expect tohold onto the car for quite a while and don't like working on cars, it may make sense to pay it. Bear in mind the new maintenance program is nontransferable and nonrefundable.

Personally, I think Audi is making a marketing mistake (I do marketing for a living). BMW gives free maintenance packages during warranty, as do many of Audi's other competitors. I don't see how this helps Audi. I've communicated that to them. However, their response is essentially that charging for this is another profit center for their dealers, so they will continue that since to them the dealers come first, the end customer second. In terms of eliminating first aid kits, etc., this increases Audi's own profit margin and they figure few will miss the stuff.

Quick Reply: 2008 vs. 2007 Subtle differences...