AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A3 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a3-12/)
-   -   2009 a3? (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a3-12/2009-a3-109589/)

gkelm 08-07-2008 01:22 PM

2009 a3?

Hey folks...first post here. :) I currently drive an '01 325i. I've previously owned mostly Japanese cars, and have been thinking about going back due to reliability (been off extended warranty for over a year). I've looked at the TL, TSX, G35, Accord Coupe, etc...all nice in their own way, but almost happier in my old bimmer compared to those...spoiled, I guess! I'm hooked up with an indy mechanic, so I'm not so worried about excessive "stealership" repair costs anymore.

Anyway, stumbled into an Audi dealership on a whim (right next to the Inifinity dealer)...had never considered Audi but had a little time so thought I'd check it out. Drove an A4...nice and okay, but didn't excite me. Got to talking about the A3, and after driving one...it's risen to the top of the list. :eek: German feel, sporty, good fuel economy, and reasonable pricing.

I was looking at an '08 S-Line 2.0T S-tronic loaner w/8k miles & certified (I like the idea of 6/100k coverage)...asking 28,900, but I'm a negotiator. ;)

But as the weeks wear on, I suppose remaining new 08s will be good deals...and then the plot thickens with the 09. Here's what I see from Motor Trend:
A3
MSRP (2008 Starting Price: A3 3.2 Quattro S $34,915)
A3 2.0T Front Manual $26,920 A3 2.0T quattro S tronic $30,500
A3 2.0T Front S tronic $28,400 A3 3.2 quattro S tronic $36,975

-- Exterior and Interior freshening including new wheels.
-- 2.0T S tronic now available with quattro all-wheel drive.
-- New simplified offer structure concept.

Standard Equipment Changes

-- Hill-hold assist - now standard on 2.0T manual (already standard on
S tronic models)
-- Sirius satellite radio - now standard on all
-- Leather seating surfaces - now standard on all
-- Flexmetallic interior trim - replaces Matte interior trim on 2.0
-- Leather steering wheel - now standard
-- Aux audio input - standard on all
-- Ashtray / Smoker pkg - deleted on all (replaced with storage tray)
-- 3.2 only: Standard Bluetooth, Bi-xenon headlamps with LED DRL, and
Open Sky
-- 3.2 only: No longer standard Symphony, Sport Suspension, Sport Seats

Option Program Changes

-- New offer structure concept
-- Discontinued: iPod adapter (replaced by standard Aux-input), Wood
trim, Sunshades for rear side windows, Premium Vienna leather
-- New options: Audi magnetic ride, Sport package
If I'm reading it right, the MSRP has gone up $1000, but you get leather and a couple other trim items, so that's a wash. To get equivalent to the current S-Line, I suppose they'll have a Sport Package, which may bring the adjusted MSRP a littel higher?...or could be close, actually.

I'm in no hurry. The smartest thing to do is probably keep my hiney in the bimmer until it falls apart...still really like driving it and I gt around 25 mpg. But...August, and even December might be great times to score a new ride.

Any further insights on the 09 A3? Cosmetics on the bumper etc. look good, but I like the 08 a lot too.

Thanks.
Greg

IzzyA3 08-07-2008 02:11 PM

I made the jump from owning only Japanese cars until I saw the light and realized cars can do more than take you from point A to point B. $28k for a used A3 with 8k on it seems kinda high. Especially considering that its was a loaner car and you know how those get abused.

You can definitely find good deals on outgoing 08 models if you do a little bit of searching and negotiating. I like the updated styling on the 09 but you probably won't get below MSRP on those.

If I was in the market for a new car right now, I'd get the 09 with the magnetic ride. I guess if your BMW can last another year longer, you can probably get it below MSRP. Just my thoughts.

canuckA3 08-08-2008 07:44 PM

Hey gkelm. What is "new offer concept"? My thoughts. Financially it would be better to keep the BMW until it falls apart, which may take awhile. You may have more repair shop visits and breakdowns, but if you are willing to put up with this, then keep the car. If, however, the financial part of your brain is smaller than the "new car smell" part of your brain (as it is in my case), I would look for a new '08. Have them throw in the maintenance package plus an MSRP discount. I doubt that you will get much of a deal on an '09, but as soon as it is off the lot, your car is worth 15-20% less!

TPE_A3 08-09-2008 02:33 AM

I think a 2008 makes more sense than a 2009 right now unless:

A) you want a 2.0t with quattro (SWEET if you have snow where you are)
B) Magnetic Ride - have it on my car...very impressive piece of technology. I'm not sure what it adds to the price though.

So, in my opinion, if you don't need either of those two options, the 08MY makes good sense.

mbowyer 08-09-2008 02:21 PM

I just paid 28,9xx for a brand new 08 A3 2.0T, s-tronic, s-line, open-sky, heated seats, ipod dock.

ibis white.

So that is not a good deal, but use your negotiation powers to make it into one!

mbowyer 08-09-2008 02:22 PM

then right before you sign the papers tell them you'll only do it if they change the tires for free, because the stock s-line ones are completely useless.

gkelm 08-10-2008 09:52 AM

Thanks guys. Not really interested in quattro (ignorance is bliss, haven't driven one!)...and that sounds like a nice deal on an 08 equipped like that, mbowyer. Crummy tires. eh? I've heard having them throw in the Audi care plan is a goodone too. :)

4RINGSROD 08-11-2008 01:38 AM

Yeah definitely get them to throw in the Audi care and also have them change the tires if they are just summer tires. I lucked out and got Conti ultra-high performance all seasons. Great in all weather up to light snow, once its more then an inch on the ground they slip and slide like cold slicks on a sprint car.

gkelm 08-11-2008 11:22 PM

Summer tires would be fine for me...snow is rare down here!

acattard 03-19-2017 08:43 AM

Guys,
I am looking for a repair (shop) manual for 2008 A3 S-line. I would appreciate any suggestions, web page phone #, etc. Thanks in advance.

Tony