Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

300hp twin turbo quattro DSG in 2009? (crazy?)

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 05:22 AM
1st Gear
Default 300hp twin turbo quattro DSG in 2009? (crazy?)

Hello All..

This is my first post... I've been lurking and reading through all the old posts trying to get all my questions answered. (Hello to Chef, who I've determined is the archive MVP.) I've been thinking about getting the A3, and went to the dealer for a test drive today. (2.0T DSG S-Line). I love the DSG in theory, but the test drive didn't quiet all my questions yet. I think if I had more time, and a better area to drive it around I might be more sure about the auto-magic shifter.

Anyway.. on to the real question. After the test drive they did the typical 'what price will have you buy today' stuff. The manager came in (as the 'closer' I suppose) and we talked for about 10-15 mins. It was clear that I wasn't buying yet, so he relaxed and we just kinda chatted about the model, how it was doing, etc. He told me he chipped his cars, and he switches to stock mode for maintenance. (I asked if I could get it in the contract that a chip wouldn't void the warranty but he said he can't, but stock mode was just as good.) He said the programs out now make it 250hp, but it is capable of 275, and he seemed to think that new programs would be coming that tap that whole potential. He then said that in 2009 there would be a 300hp engine, employing a twin turbo, and featuring quattro and DSG, as opposed to an S3 model. I found this surprising, as it is the first I've heard of an A3 twin-turbo, not to mention a 2.0 with both quattro and DSG.

The funny part about this was how the salesman started shifting around as he was talking about this stuff. I think he was worried that by talking up future features he was messing up any sales opportunity they had. Oh well.

So what do you guys think? Possible? Old news? BS?

Old 04-08-2007, 05:30 AM
SoCal Crew Member
Default RE: 300hp twin turbo quattro DSG in 2009? (crazy?)

ORIGINAL: twonine

Hello All..

This is my first post... I've been lurking and reading through all the old posts trying to get all my questions answered. (Hello to Chef, who I've determined is the archive MVP.) I've been thinking about getting the A3, and went to the dealer for a test drive today. (2.0T DSG S-Line). I love the DSG in theory, but the test drive didn't quiet all my questions yet. I think if I had more time, and a better area to drive it around I might be more sure about the auto-magic shifter.

Anyway.. on to the real question. After the test drive they did the typical 'what price will have you buy today' stuff. The manager came in (as the 'closer' I suppose) and we talked for about 10-15 mins. It was clear that I wasn't buying yet, so he relaxed and we just kinda chatted about the model, how it was doing, etc. He told me he chipped his cars, and he switches to stock mode for maintenance. (I asked if I could get it in the contract that a chip wouldn't void the warranty but he said he can't, but stock mode was just as good.) He said the programs out now make it 250hp, but it is capable of 275, and he seemed to think that new programs would be coming that tap that whole potential. He then said that in 2009 there would be a 300hp engine, employing a twin turbo, and featuring quattro and DSG, as opposed to an S3 model. I found this surprising, as it is the first I've heard of an A3 twin-turbo, not to mention a 2.0 with both quattro and DSG.

The funny part about this was how the salesman started shifting around as he was talking about this stuff. I think he was worried that by talking up future features he was messing up any sales opportunity they had. Oh well.

So what do you guys think? Possible? Old news? BS?
Considering A3's are selling as much, it's gonna be hard to even put out a 300hp A3 on the marker, but maybe that's a way to keep up with the Subbie's and Evo's out there........

btw...... Subaru just came out with their new WRX, check out their webpage, it's a new smaller 4 doorhatch, looks kinda like if Mazda 3 mated with a Civic Si, then you get the new WRX, but the page doesn't really tell out the performance on that thing, but neways, i guess Audi is trying to keep up with the performance market, but then again, you can tweek out your A3 2.0T and push 300horses if you want............before you blow up your engine. =)

Old 04-08-2007, 05:34 AM
1st Gear

Well there was a bi turbo 2.7 V6 engine previously for TT, A4 and A6. I wonder if they would adapt the current 3.2 V6 in A3 and 2008 TT as a bi turbo? I would expect this to also again be a AWD model. There have been rumors of a higher performance A3 sportback coming.

Old 04-08-2007, 06:29 AM
1st Gear

The question is what would this do to day-to-day driveability? It would likely be a nightmare for powerplant durability as it literally twists itself apart.

Old 04-10-2007, 01:53 AM
SoCal Crew Member

ORIGINAL: JohnS1

Well there was a bi turbo 2.7 V6 engine previously for TT, A4 and A6. I wonder if they would adapt the current 3.2 V6 in A3 and 2008 TT as a bi turbo? I would expect this to also again be a AWD model. There have been rumors of a higher performance A3 sportback coming.
if they adapted the 3.2 to twin turbos, that would be sick.. and i bet it would make a lot more than just 300

Old 04-10-2007, 04:48 PM
1st Gear

twonine, which dealership were you at?

Old 04-11-2007, 07:31 AM
1st Gear

H8for405:
This was at keyes van nuys.