Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

6-speed manual: Gears grinding

Old 05-02-2009, 12:39 PM
1st Gear
Question 6-speed manual: Gears grinding

In the past few days I have noticed that the gears on my car do not engage properly sometimes. The problem is mostly with first gear. I will be sitting at a traffic light thinking the car is in first gear and then I let go of the clutch and the transmission makes a horrible grinding noise and the gear lever shudders because obviously it has not engaged the gear fully.

This has happened about 5-6 times in the past week or so. Mostly when I am trying to get going from a stand-still in first gear. Only once when I was shifting from 4th to 5th did I have the same problem. It didn't want to go into 5th for some reason. Took a couple of efforts to get it into gear.

I have driven a manual all my life and I have not had any problems shifting and I do press the clutch fully when I change gears, so I know it is not me. Nothing has changed with me. I think something is wrong with my car.

Could the improper engagement and grinding of gears be because of low transmission oil pressure? I don't have any CELs though.

BTW, the car has 30,000 miles on it and is a 2006 2.0T.

Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:19 AM
L7
1st Gear

Saintforlife;
It should still be under waranty. I would bring it in to the dealership and have them take a look at it. That clutch should not be wearing yet, unless that was the car you learned how to drive a stick on. But, even though my wife does not drive my baby that often - she has not killed the clutch yet, I'm doubting that it has anything to do with your driving. Your mileage is about the same as mine, so that's not normal wear. Definitely bring it in.