Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

A3 2.0 T Bluefin questions

Old 03-25-2007, 08:59 PM
Default A3 2.0 T Bluefin questions

Hi All - I am new to this forum and I also just received my new A3 2.0T Sline. I absolutely love this car and I am very happy with my decision, although I have only had it for a week. I have owned a SUV for the past few years, and the change is welcomed.
So, now that I have my new A3, I have been doing lots of research to try and find the best ECU mod. Although expensive, from what I have read, the superchips bluefin appears to be the best product on the market. The fact that you can switch between the superchip settings and the stock factory settings with out having to go to the shop is worth the money.
Has anyone out there used the bluefin on their A3? How have your results been? Also, what is the best and easiest way to get at the diagnostic port of the car?

Thanks!

-Joe

Old 03-25-2007, 11:39 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: A3 2.0 T Bluefin questions

Superchips seem to be based in Europe and I'm not sure if there are dealers here. However, many of us have tried APR, GIAC, andrevo, without any problems.

So to answer your questions:
1) Nope, never used bluefin... you might actually be the first.
2) Well, chipping generally gives you a 100% noticeable gain. Night and day difference. If you have the $$ for a chip you should go for it right away. Many memebers had doubts in regards to chipping but were soon converted once they done so.
3) Diagnostics port is located in the driver side footwell.

Welcome aboard.!

Old 03-26-2007, 12:06 AM
1st Gear

I have the APR software. Its great, switches between stock, 91, 93 and 100 octane tuned modes and has a dealer lockout feature that is password protected. Easily switched with no tools, no computer or anything, just your cruise control stalk. Other 'chips' have similar features with slightly different ways of switching modes, but all are very effective. APR and Revo seem to be the 'chips' of choice. I say 'chips' because there isnt actually anything installed in your car, just a software upgrade with fuel and boost remappings.

Old 03-26-2007, 01:13 AM

Thanks for the responses! I know there are a few other ECU discussion threads on this forum, so I wont drag this one out. But I should have the unit sometime next week and I will start a new post once I have it installed and let everyone know how it went and how the performance is.

Oh, so the diag port is in the footwell? Is it easy to get at?

Old 03-26-2007, 06:51 AM
1st Gear

I have the Bluefin!

Interesting to hear that Superchips are dealing in the US now. Although really there's nothing stopping them selling the Bluefin unit over there as the maps are just downloaded from a server in the UK so there's no need to visit an agent.

Have a read of my rather long winded thread 'My A3' ( https://www.audiforums.com/m_443401/tm.htm), I think I mention the Bluefin in there somewhere! Or have a read of www.audi-sport.net in the A3(8P) section. The forum is UK based and there is a fair bit of Bluefin discussion. Try not to get too hung up on which product is 'best' though, it's a bit like arguing over your favourite colour.

@A3Night,

I've noticed GIAC are branching out into the UK tuning market. Interesting to see how they do.

Old 04-03-2007, 03:04 PM

Hey All - I received my bluefin unit last week. I have to say that the superchips customer support is top notch. They have been very helpful in answering all my questions and I received my shipment in 3 days via DHL. Unfortunately I was traveling so I didn't get to install the ECU upgrade until last night. The process was very easy. I downloaded the stock configs to the bluefin unit and then uploaded them to superchips over the web. They then sent me back the modified files which I downloaded to the bluefin unit and then to the car. The bluefin unit instructed me step by step through the entire process.
My gas tank was basically on empty when I did theupgrade and I took the car straight to get filled up after the upgrade was done. What I noticed was that the estimated miles to empty on the onboard display only read 260 miles after the fill up. This is easly more than a 100 mile difference from before the upgrade. Hopefully the reading isn't true, otherwise this will be a big issue for me.
As far as performance, you can definately tell the difference. My car seems exteremely fast off the line now and the highway excelleration is amazing. The engine also sounds a bit deeper as well. Its only been about 20 hours since the upgrade, but so far so good.
I am going to email superchips to ask about the gas reading. I will update this post with the response.

Old 04-03-2007, 03:50 PM
1st Gear

My A3 DSG Sport is the only car I haven't chipped in the last 15 years. I already see way too much of the traction control light. Quaife is shipping their helical limited slip diff in about a month, so after I have that installed and have some way of getting power to the ground, then I'll think about ECU upgrades.

Or have you guys somehow solved that little issue with tires or suspension mods?

Old 04-03-2007, 04:19 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: joejm14

the estimated miles to empty on the onboard display only read 260 miles after the fill up. This is easly more than a 100 mile difference from before the upgrade.
So previous to the remapping... your display read 360 miles to fill up? I guess that's the price to be paid for increased performance. Can any one else with Bluefin confirm the change in MPG?

Old 04-03-2007, 04:27 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Monkeyboy

ORIGINAL: joejm14

the estimated miles to empty on the onboard display only read 260 miles after the fill up. This is easly more than a 100 mile difference from before the upgrade.
So previous to the remapping... your display read 360 miles to fill up? I guess that's the price to be paid for increased performance. Can any one else with Bluefin confirm the change in MPG?

That can't be right. The 'miles to fill up' indicator surely works on driving style/conditions??? And TBH I've noticed improved economy since the Bluefin. It can be a little bonus of a re-map. My 1.8T with Custom Code always got better mpg.

Old 04-03-2007, 05:00 PM
1st Gear

How much (in U.S. dollars) was the Bluefin shipped to the states? How many remappings does that include?

And so I assume you download your car's stock program to the hand held unit, and transfer it to your computer to email it to Superchips? Then they send back (or post) the remap file for you to download?

I had a simular setup previously on a Mini Cooper... so do you have to have a PC to exchange the files, or does it all happen from the handheld unit?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A3 2.0 T Bluefin questions