Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

A3 2.0T motor and DSG tranny durability?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 10:03 PM
Default A3 2.0T motor and DSG tranny durability?

My beloved supercharged S2000 is trashed after being in a hell of a rear ender. I'm considering getting a 'practical car', a 05-07 A3 /w DSG tranny. How durable are these motors and transmissions? If I run an APR chip for day driving, can the transmission take the extra torque?

Old 10-13-2008, 01:21 AM
1st Gear

Well, in 30,000 miles, I have had one minor mechanical - a pressure sensor, one sunroof shade clip, and a service indicator that likes to spontaneously reset to "Service". I have zero rattles, consistently get 25MPG on my 36 mile RT commute, which is 3/4 freeway, and 32 MPG on the highway. With 3 people and luggage maybe 28. I also get about 5,000 miles/quart of Mobil 1. The clutch isn't even on my radar as a trouble point.

Most clutch wear in conventional transmissions is caused by human error. Eliminate that, and most clutch wear disappears. I love the DSG transmission, but it does have a learning curve.

Hint 1: don't try to outsmart it, and don't double pedal when starting up hill from a stop. Remove foot from brake, apply enough gas to engage the clutches and hold the car. Add more gas pedal as required.

Hint 2: 'S' mode trys to keep the engine at 3000 RPM for driving through traffic or twisty roads. If tha's not what you are doing, you p[robably won't like 'S' mode. Leave it in 'D' or shift manually.

Mods: I have installed and ECS dogbone, SR Gran Prix coilovers, a Neuspeed RSB and a Revo ECU upgrade. The car is eminiently streetable, and with a quick sway bar change to firm and adjusting the front rebound up a quarter turn, I have a very quick autocross car. And it would be even better with a set OZ Ultraleggeras and Dunlop Direzza Star Specs. Start with the dogbone and RSB for less than $300 and a single trip under the car.

A3s are special cars in a way that few others are - namely 3Series BMWs, and S2000s, but with it's own distinct personality. I have driven a GTI, and they simply are not built to the same standards as an A3, even if they share the same drivetrain.

Old 10-14-2008, 03:25 AM

My DSG takes a beating. Traffic in Vegas is stupid,,everyday. I drive my car hard, and it never misses a beat. If i leave it in "D" it shifts nice and smooth, "all about mileage". Slap it over into "S" mode and i manually shift it. It becomes a beast,, only wanting to do what i tell it to... it will run 500 over redline,,, waiting for me to shift it... it will not down shift,, until i shift it. It will scream up,, as i slap it down,,, spinning 'em around a 90* turn at the intersection. I have everything except the BTkit,,, and that's sitting in the box, on the shelf, in the garage, waiting for the next day off.