Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

A3 - Stereo Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 04:55 PM
Default A3 - Stereo Question

Evening all,

I've just bought a used Audi A3 (SE) and have a quick question about the symphony2 sound system. The bass seems to be really uncontrolled and over powering (with tone controls set flat). The problem goes away if I adjust the fader so the front speakers are louder than the rear.

More annoyingly there's a resonance in my right ear at just about all female singing frequencies. Its so bad I often turn the thing off and prefer to drive in silence.

Just wondered if anyone else had experienced this and had any advice.

Cheers,

Robin

Old 04-29-2008, 09:17 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: A3 - Stereo Question

Hi Robinsws,

Hope you are enjoying the rest of your car, but that sounds (quite literally in this case!) pretty bad. Is the car still under warranty?

Sorry that I don't have any advice, just wanted to commiserate. For me, I have not been all that impressed with my Audi Head Unit either, and want to change, but it's VERY difficult to find a double din head unit and a cage/frame to make it fit professionally and look/sound good.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:33 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: TPE_A3

Hi Robinsws,

Hope you are enjoying the rest of your car, but that sounds (quite literally in this case!) pretty bad. Is the car still under warranty?

Sorry that I don't have any advice, just wanted to commiserate. For me, I have not been all that impressed with my Audi Head Unit either, and want to change, but it's VERY difficult to find a double din head unit and a cage/frame to make it fit professionally and look/sound good.
Hey TPE,

I thought Pioneer's D3 is a popular replacement for the OEM double DIN headunit, no? D3 is on sale recently cuz it's being discontinued. Maybe it's a good time to buy it.
I don't if you've seen the new mobile GPS units from pioneer (it was on engadget). They look awesome!

Old 04-30-2008, 01:05 AM
1st Gear

HEy TPE
Check here https://sslrelay.com/s74326199.onean...dex.shopscript
They have double din cages.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:35 AM
1st Gear

Thanks Omni and 4Rings! This website really rocks and all the friendly and helpful people like you guys make it great!

Now that I can find the right cage...decisions decisions!

I was just over at my shop...looking at putting in a Supersprint Cat-back dual exhaust...have to get a new valence...and decide on double dual tips, or two single tips a la B6 A4-type look. Or....a new stereo!

Mod-bug fever in full effect!

Old 04-30-2008, 12:38 PM
1st Gear

hey TPE,

This is the thread I read when I was window-shopping for a new headunit/NAV

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3784537

I can't seem to find the link where ppl find good deals on the pioneer d3 but so far amazon has it for $700 or so. I'm not sure if it comes with the wiring harness though. Or you can wait a bit, pioneer's new double DIN unit is right around the corner. The never ending greed for the latest gadgets....kekekkekeke
Since I have the OEM ipod dock and bt module already, I figure I'll just put in an audi RNS-E nav unit myself sometime later this year. In you decide to go that route, navplus.us has awesome instructions on how to do that.

Either way, show us pictures! =D

Old 04-30-2008, 05:13 PM

Thanks TPE - love the rest of the car. Used to have a Renault Clio - the a3 is a dream in comparison.

I've just spent the evening removing a Nokia car kit that came with the car. Although I cant be certain I think the annoying female voice resonance has gone. Will do another 65 miles tomorrow at the end of which I'll definitely know for certain.

Either way I think I'm going to give disconnecting the sub woofer a go as per the following link.

http://forums.fourtitude.com/zerothread?id=2741663

Will let you all know tomorrow if the resonance has gone just incase anyone else is suffering in silence.

Cheers,

Robin

Old 05-01-2008, 02:34 AM
1st Gear

Yea ive noticed the bass in my A3 is pretty weird. When its on max it usually will cut out or mess with the treble its very weird and I have no idea why. I usually leave it on 4 and it seems to be almost the same as max but you don't get the treble cutting out.

Old 05-05-2008, 01:54 PM

Well I can definitly confirm that the nokia car kit was ruining the sound quality of the stereo so watch out for that in future. I've also disconnected the subwoofer and now everything is much more subtle.

Thanks for the responses.

Robin

Old 05-05-2008, 07:30 PM
1st Gear

I've tried the subwoofer connected and disconnected it several times. I like it with CD's, but less with the radio. Eventually I added a switch to turn the sub on and off without pulling the trunk side panel every time. Unfortunately, all the Symphony2 wiring for the subwoofer from the Bose amplifier is in the trunk, so the switch is back there, too (to avoid wires up and back).

So it gives me an easier way to check the effect quickly, but in the end, I usually just leave it on most of the time, and turn down the bass for the radio. (Did you notice that it retains different bass/mid/treble settings for different input sources?)