Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

aftermarket radio and retain steering wheel control

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 02:32 PM
1st Gear
Default aftermarket radio and retain steering wheel control

I've seen that several people on here have upgraded to an aftermarket radio. I really want to do the same, but I love the steering wheel controls for the stock radio and don't want to lose them. The volume **** is the most responsive I've ever come across. My question to all of you that have replaced your stock radios is have any of you been able to integrate your steering wheel controls with your new radios? I know that PAC Audio makes interfaces for the 2002-2007 A4's and I wasn't sure if the A3 and the A4 share the same harnesses and wiring setups. Has anyone tried to make this work with the A3?

Old 08-14-2007, 05:31 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: aftermarket radio and retain steering wheel control

I got an alpine 9885 put in and I love it so far. Best Buy says they can make the steering wheel controls work, for about $150, but I haven't had it done yet.

Old 08-15-2007, 03:31 AM
2nd Gear

There is a PAC adapter that is supposed to work with CAN-bus Audis, but I've yet to hear from anyone who's actually used it in an A3. If you do get one, it has to be programmed initially by whomever installs it. Basically, you put it into programming mode, press the button on the wheel, and indicate what that button does. Beware, the responsiveness of the volume **** may or may not be degraded when translated through the PAC adapter.

EDIT: Oh hey, you're the dude in Jacksonville with the silver A3, right? I think I may have passed you a few times in past week or so on Southside and also on Gate Pkwy between Southside and Belfort. Did you have a bike rack on your roof one day? Gate Pkwy, around 9-10ish PM? Anyway, if you decide to get the adapter and self-install, I'd be happy to help (or just pass you tools). I've got a garage and probably any tool you could need. Send me a PM if interested.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:41 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the offer to help. I haven't purchased anything yet. Mostly because I need to have a day free to do the install of the radio and see if I can get that adapter to work. I used to have an S2000 and a guy on our forums made something to retain the factory controls that was much better than PAC. He made a wired version for Alpine and IR for the rest of the popular brands. Unfortunately he doesn't do work for the Audi. The PAC unit has a wired option that also works with the Alpine so I would think that would have the least delay. This is mainly why I am leaning towards the Alpine, that and the fact the illumination can match ours.

As for me being the guy driving around Southside this weekend, it wasn't me. I was gone this weekend and I don't have a bike rack, but I'm sure we've seen each other at some point. I try to wave to every A3 I see. My A3 has tinted windows and a Florida Alumni license plate holder. I do spend a lot of time driving around over there it seems.