Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Any help you guys can give !?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 08:09 AM
Default Any help you guys can give !?

Okay so I’m at the end of my tether with my A3 !

I have an X reg1.8t which I have had problems with since buying it...

Since I bought it at 70k miles I wasn’t expecting it to be perfect, however it seems the last owner just didn’t care what was wrong with the car.

Anyway back to my point i bought my car just under a year ago drove it away from the dealer and 2 days later my engine management light came on (orange). to cut a long story short the garage i bought it from just repeatedly reset the light and did nothing until my warranty ran out... helpful people.

So I ended up hauling the car off to Audi(Harrogate, UK), who said there were 8 faults listed, mostly centring around the turbo and the recirculation valve, so after 8 trips to Audi and £600(fuel pump, pipes,turbo valve etc)worth of things they decided to "try" all the engine management faults were still not cleared. After that many trips and that much money they had managed to reduce the faults to 3 things, the air recirculation valve for the turbo, something about a bank running lean and some random air flowerror they never fully explained.

So the problems I was having with my car were that under hard acceleration it would stutter, on gear changes it would stutter and sometimes it would feel like I was getting nothing out of the turbo.

I did some research on the problems and lots of things pointed to the mass air filter or possibly coil packs not firing properly.

I took my car to a local garage where i know the owner who got me a new air filter and fitted it all etc, now there is no engine management lights returning, however the car will still stutter on gear change, and occasionally under acceleration ??? However on occasion it does actual feel like it’s working to its full potential (its so fun when it does) :P

I still love the car despite all theissues and would really like to try pinpoint what the problem is, i was told it probably wouldn’t be the coil packs because the issue would happen all the time rather than just on gear change?

I don’t want to take it back to Audi until I’m certain I know what the problem is as they charge through the roof just for diagnosis.

I confess to being a bit clueless when it comes to cars!

Anyone else ever experienced any similar problems or any ideas what the issues could be ?