Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

apr exhaust for a3

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 02:07 AM
Default apr exhaust for a3

has anyone tried this exhaust and how is it? I don't want it loud inside unless I really step on the gas.

Old 02-27-2006, 10:40 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: apr exhaust for a3

I have APR exhaust and 93 octane program. Awesome performance 275 +/- HP 300+/- torque.
1) It is LOUD. You get some serious vibes inside at certain RPM.
2) Exhaust w/out program will not help performance much (read APR info)
3) APR has a problem with program and how it relates to fuel delivery (I got it). Waiting for fix. Car runs rough and rich some time. This is built into program to prevent engine damage as turbo has more potential than fuel system. Car runs too lean it blows up!

Old 02-28-2006, 02:45 AM

I have the program, but wanted to complete it with the exhaust. I just want to know what it sounds like because I don't want it loud inside.

I don't notice anything wrong with my program, how do you tell?

Old 03-02-2006, 10:41 PM
1st Gear

What is happening is that in certain conditions car is programed to run rich so that it does not lean out and detonate. If you have the problem it is most evident when you let the car idle for a few minutes then get back on it. You will feel the car "break up" or run rough at about 5000 rpm. This will not damage anything according to APR and a fix is on the way. This may only be a problem when you have full exhaust and program. Note that you have to get your program upgraded to work with exhaust. APR does this for free but..I had to pay my local rep 1 hour to do it.
I drive my car everyday throughout New England on sales calls. I like the sound of exhaust but...it is loud and you do get a lot of resonation in car at certain RPM. I had my wife take off down the street yesterday to get an outsiders view and I heard her for blocks. I took the car to my home in VT with my wife and 2 kids and they went nuts with sound after a while, ofcourse I was driving hard on VT backroads. I think they were just pissed that we didnt take her new ML 500 (much better suited for a family weekend). Can't wait to chip that!
Hope this helps. If you live in Southern New England/NYC area I will gladly let you check the car out.
I have also done Bilstein Shocks, H&R Springs, H&R rear sway bar and a K&N Filter. I have the front H&R bar but have not nput in yet. I am running on winter Nokians but will be going to after market wheels and sticky tires I had on my 04 A4 soon (if they fit). Car is pretty low.
See ya
Scott

Old 03-03-2006, 12:27 AM

I've got it on order already. sometime next week it will be installed.

Old 03-09-2006, 03:59 PM

Hey guys,

I am planning doing the same with my A3 (chip it and suspension works). Just a curious question, what does it takes to do my own suspension? This is for an 06' OEM sport tuned suspension. Of course, this is my first european car . I am loving it already. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-09-2006, 11:04 PM

copy cat!! I love my chip. I get the exhaust put in tomorrow. Then i'm dropping that b---- 2.2" in the front and 1.6" in the rear!

Old 03-10-2006, 11:52 PM

dscott,
I kind of noticed what you meant about the idling sometimes. I've got the exhaust in and it's exactlt what I wanted. I actually expected it to be a little louder. It's awesome! I love the aggressive sound when you step on the gas. When idling it has a nice little rumble and when cruising is hardly noticable. I just love stepping on the throttle though. An aggressive vrroooom, it just winds up so mean!!

Old 03-13-2006, 07:24 PM
1st Gear

Fun STUFF. I love mine too! I am amazed at how much attention my little plain grey A3 gets from people.
Looking for summer wheels and tires now. Thought I could use my A4 aftermarket 17 x 8 wheels but...different off set and they rub in back (A3 is 45mm, A4 is 35mm). I used my stock A4 wheels and snows and they "just fit" and fill wheel wells pretty good.
FYI
APR will have an update for our program w/ in the next 2 to 3 weeks. They say car will be even stronger! Should be FREE as we have already bought exhaust and program. It is a fix. Your local guy should know about it soon. I'm sure APR wants software perfect for all the GTI's that will be chasing us around soon!!
Scott

Old 03-14-2006, 11:05 PM
1st Gear

Put My A4 Wheels with 255 40 17 Kuhmo's on today. Just fit.
I was wrong about offsets, our A3 has a 50 mm offset.
WOW. Car handles so well. Glad to be off the Nokian Snows. Suspension work is pretty straight forward stuff. I did not put the front H&R Adjustable Sway Bar in for 2 reasons. 1) Didnt want a bigger bar up front. Want some oversteer. 2) Could not figure it out at the suspension shop with my mechanic. Looked complicated. When in doubt keep it out!
Scott

Quick Reply: apr exhaust for a3