Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Audi A3 2005 Sportback 5dr - Possible Handbrake Failure

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 01:04 PM
1st Gear
Exclamation Audi A3 2005 Sportback 5dr - Possible Handbrake Failure

Ok, so really bad thing happened. I parked my a3 on a slope near my work place and applied the handbrake as usual and left it in gear as a precaution and got out the car, as soon as i got out of the car and locked the door, the car began to roll down the slope, i tried slowing it down from the back so i could atlas have enough speed to open the door and brake, but i wasn't able to, as a result i lost my balance and fell and suffered several minor injuries as well as the car going into a q7, however i was able to get in before it hit but as the door was open, its hinges broke and was/is flung open, what i want to know is, is the handbrake a common problem on these cars or is it just a case of myself being tardy, but i was make sure the handbrake is up properly, i let go of the footbrake after applying, so surely it would roll with me in the car.
If anyone can enlighten me, it would be much appreciated, thanks

Old 02-05-2016, 08:13 PM
1st Gear

The handbrake on my 2013 A3 appears to be electric. The handbrake lever moves only a short distance;I think it is an on/off switch. It is common to return to the car and find the handbrake lever off. I would not park on a steep slope.

Old 02-06-2016, 12:45 PM
1st Gear

I noticed that with my a3, I'm thinking whilst it did click (its a manual handbrake) i think the click may not have held on its own. By any chance would you know how much a new from driver side door and window regulator cost for the car (2005)

Old 06-03-2018, 06:39 AM
1st Gear
Default Similar experience A3 2013 model

So a similar thing happened to me yesterday. Not as hectic as yours but the scenario was more or less the same. I parked my car on an incline and engaged my hand brake fully ( used both hands and pulled as far as lever could go) and even stayed in the car for a little to make sure the car was stable. Got out of car leaving my 2 year old son in the back and my sister in the passenger seat. Was removing things from the boot when i heard a loud thud ( which i assume was the handbrake disengaging) and the car started rolling backwards. It would have rolled over me if it wasnt for my sisters quick thinking by pulling the handbrake up again. Luckily no one was hurt and nothing serious damaged save for the goods that were run over by the wheel.

Im traumatised to be honest cos i would think a handbrake is there to keep the car still especially on an incline especially when its fully engaged. I read on some other older threads people talking about parking in gear?? Is this to mean the parking brake isnt good enough to hold the car on its own?

Am taking the car to my dealer to get it checked out. I really like the Audi brand and wanted to remain with Audi but this has shaken me up pretty good. What if my son was behind the car instead of me? The thought just terrifies me.

Old 06-03-2018, 08:20 AM
1st Gear

Since my original post,I have had the brake system apart to replace pads and rotors. The handbrake mechanism is mechanical not electric. And it often releases when parked overnight.