Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Audi and BMW

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 10:22 PM
1st Gear
Default Audi and BMW

Hey guys,

Since I post a lot to the board, I feel like I 'know' you guys, so really want your thoughts and input. As per my other post, I have been having some minor issues with my car and Audi service, and I'm also thinking of moving into a coupe. Most likely I will keep my A3 because I love it, and it's perfect for hauling my kids around!

But, I'm thinking of going to either an A5 or a BMW 335 and want to get a sense of what you guys think. For me, the A5 wins hands down on styling and makes the BMW's interior look like it came out of a Hyundai in comparison. But, at this point in Taiwan, I can only get the 3.2 V6. If I could get the 3.0TDI than there is no contest between these cars for me.(And the TDI will probably be an option...I already have a 2.0TDI A3) (The S5 is not an realistic option because annual taxes in Taiwan are based on displacement and the number of cylinders...a 4.2V8 is crazy tax land!) But the BMW comes with a 3.0 twin-turbo V6 that already comes stock with 300BHP+ and is readily tunable to the 400 neighborhood without doing anything totally crazy to the engine.

So I'm looking for a fun, stylish car. Yeah, it's partly an ego thing...want some bling on the streets of Taipei. But also don't want to get owned by the guy in a modded ricer! hehehe

Since both cars have been available in the US and elsewhere for some time, anyone heard much about the reliability, especially of the A5. !!

Old 05-27-2008, 11:37 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Audi and BMW

Haven't heard anything on the A5 yet. I do know everyone that has one loves them. And you are right the interior is just beutiful. But if your looking for a coupe that you can have fun with and just tear it up. You probably would like rear wheel drive and the ability to kill any ricer. Go with the BMW 135i yeah its a 1 series but it gets the 335's 3.0L Twin turbo I6 and you lose about 800lbs(if my memory is correct) and they say there is just enough room in the back for preteen kids. If I could afford it thats the way I would go but if I could afford it I would have an RS4!

Old 05-28-2008, 12:12 AM
1st Gear

Hard decision. I really like the A5 but havent done a lot of research into it. It looks awsome and I don't see too many around but when I do it sure catches my eye. The 335 coupe is an amazing looking/all around car. I was talking to my buddy who works on BMW's and he said the 335 is one of the best cars BMW has made. Tuned, its a spectacular car that can achieve insane performance. As much as I love the A5, my vote goes to the 335. Plus, the stock exhaust sounds pretty mean

I saw this 2 weekends ago at a weekend car show... sooo sick
Name:  TET002.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  49.5 KB

Old 05-28-2008, 12:29 AM
5th Gear

My vote goes to the 335i, as well. I saw a white 335 coupe today sitting at work and thought I was going to have to go change my pants.

(I know, I know - I've got an A4, but I love the A5 and 335i both as much as you guys do. )

Old 05-29-2008, 10:38 AM
1st Gear

GO FOR 335 if you don't wanna get S5.

Old 05-29-2008, 12:22 PM
1st Gear

The new 3-series coupes are probably one of the prettiest cars that BMW has produced since the 3.0CS of the 70's. (I date myself with that comment!) I'm a long-standing member of the BMW Car Club of America even now, with no BMW, but I would be extremely unlikely to ever buy one.

My gripes with them: No spare tire nor place to put one (and lots of complaints about the ride and handling of the run-flats), no oil dipstick, no water temperature gauge, no differential drain plug (since BMW started offering 'free service' the transmission and differentials magically gained "lifetime" fluids), and the iDrive system is even worse then Audi's MMI (at least that is optional on the 3's).

Old 05-29-2008, 01:15 PM
1st Gear

I like the exterior of the A5, especially the headlamps. Interior wise, hands down A5 wins. However, 335's twin turbo and tuned chassis even beats S5.
Having all that power IS nice, but I think it's kind of a waste in Taiwan. I rather drive a weaker but better looking car in Taiwan. Last time I spoted a Porsche 911 turbo parked on the street in taipei, i felt so bad for the car. After all being said, my vote goes to A5

Does BMW taiwan also do "free" service up to 45k? ("free" in quotes because the maintenance cost is already built in to the sales price)

Old 05-29-2008, 08:45 PM
1st Gear

Omni...c'mon...you know Taiwan...everything is FREE! hahahah

They tell you they finance the car for free, and then in the next breath tell you they can take off $10000 of the price if pay cash! So much for free financing!

Maintenance past the 2 year warranty? Ah, brother, come to me, I will hook you up!

When buying a car here, buyer beware, sales guys are basically entrepreneurs working for themselves on behalf of the car company! When I bought my A3, my sales guy even had Audi install my completely illegal GPS/radar/infrared/laser detector and even installed the laser 'parking' system on the front of my car that blinds police lasers so you make it through the speed trap without posting a speed! God bless freedom in Taiwan! This system to me, (along with the fact that you only suffer financial penalties if caught by the automated speed traps and you have to be REALLY unlikely to get caught by a police officer doing a speed trap because taiwanese driver's have an instinctive reaction to hit the brake regardless of their speed when they see a cop...so look for brake lights up ahead!) means that I actually drive a lot faster in Taiwan.(e.g. 2 hours TPE-Kaoshiung ...that ride put a smile on my face!)

I'm totally with you Omni on the looks. Though if I take the 335, there is a race track in Taoyuan where I could thrash out some of my wilder driving ambitions!

Tell me if I'm shallow guys....in Taiwan...the 335 is a $115000 car, and from the outside, looks pretty much the same as a $70000 320 (even the 2 door 335 is not that different) They are common, and the styling is pretty dull. The A5 is, on the other hand, cheaper and unique, and stands out a whole lot more! Ok ok...I'm not really looking for a car anymore...it must be a ridiculous balm for my ego...ok ok....I'll wait till I can get my hands on the A5 in winter next year!