AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A3 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a3-12/)
-   -   Audi Concert Stereo and XM (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a3-12/audi-concert-stereo-xm-70225/)

bjovkovic 07-24-2007 10:33 PM

Audi Concert Stereo and XM

I just purchased my 2007 A3 Sline andI am getting all kinds of answers on how to integrate my XM account with my stereo, anybody have any input?? My Stereo has the SAT button, is it a simple integration?

Chef 07-24-2007 10:37 PM

RE: Audi Concert Stereo and XM

Do you have the XM tuner installed on your Audi Stereo??? If you press the SAT button, does the read out say that you don't have any satellite radio, or can you hear the free channel? If you have the tuner installed then all you need to do is contact XM to have your service changed.

Cheers!

bjovkovic 07-24-2007 10:41 PM

Thanks Chef, that answers it...I need to get the XM tuner installed...any input on getting that? DoI purchase it through the dealer?

Jeratain 07-24-2007 10:42 PM

Like Chef says, press the SAT button to see if you get anything. Hopefully it's as easy as that and then you can just call up XM or Sirius and get it activated.

If you get the message that there is no sattelite installed, then you need to order the receiver. You can order the receiver from a few places including the dealer, eBay, or another third party location.

The receiver model numbers are:
8E0 057 593A - XM
8E0 057 593 - Sirius

The install is supposed to be very simple to do and is well documented here.

I just ordered an XM receiver off of eBay two days ago for $92. It should arrive sometime this week so I can install it and let you know how it goes if you are curious.

EDIT: The dealer will charge you a LOT for it. They also want a ridiculous amount for installation. They claim it takes something like 2 hours when it only takes 10-30 minutes.

Chef 07-24-2007 10:44 PM

Unfortunately, the unit has to be compatible with the Audi head unit, so a purchase from the dealer is the only way unless somebody is selling one on ebay or the forums. Not cheap through the dealer. I think they want somewhere in the $400 range for the tuner installed.

Cheers!

bjovkovic 07-24-2007 10:44 PM

Thats awesome guys, thanks for the info!

BAMF 07-24-2007 11:06 PM

Have you checked the compartment in the back to be sure the tuner is not present? I purchased my A3 without the Sirius option, didn't ask for it, didn't pay for it, and it wasn't listed on the window sticker, but when I went investigating I found it had been installed at the factory. All I had to do was connect the orange harness behind the passenger kick panel and then activate the radio. I realize this is a probably a rare occurrence, but it can't hurt to take 5 mins and check rather than buy one and realize it's already there.

Jeratain 07-24-2007 11:12 PM

Dang it, BAMF! You had me all excited and scared at the same time (excited that it might be there and scared that I wasted money on an item I wouldn't need) :p

You really lucked out on that one. I unfortunately didn't have one.

BAMF 07-24-2007 11:20 PM

Haha, sorry to get your hopes up. I was pleasantly surprised when I found mine. I didn't even plan on buying one, I was just trying to see if the connector for the stock antenna would fit my Alpine Sirius tuner, but once I found the Audi tuner in there it convinced me to keep the stock stereo a bit longer. Anyway, I hope you enjoy your XM, and it really is a simple task to install just from the poking around I've done.

AManCalledE 07-25-2007 01:12 AM

ORIGINAL: BAMF

Have you checked the compartment in the back to be sure the tuner is not present? I purchased my A3 without the Sirius option, didn't ask for it, didn't pay for it, and it wasn't listed on the window sticker, but when I went investigating I found it had been installed at the factory. All I had to do was connect the orange harness behind the passenger kick panel and then activate the radio. I realize this is a probably a rare occurrence, but it can't hurt to take 5 mins and check rather than buy one and realize it's already there.
Do you have pictures of what / where you are talking about?