Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Audi NOOB: Need Advice on buying this A3!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 04:51 PM
Exclamation Audi NOOB: Need Advice on buying this A3!

Hi,

I'm new to Audi, I'm a truck guy and familiar with GM. Anyways I need a new DD and found this car.

2006 A3 w/ Premium Pkg
2.0T
Auto DSG

Dealer wants 14K (Asking Price) - I haven't even started to nego.

My questions to you guys

Is the 2.0T and A3 in general a good car to depend on for daily driving ( 75 miles commute ) just to work, plus errands and stuff on weekends.

Any weak mechanical parts i should worry or expect to break?

How is the maint, fairly DIY or do i have to take it to dealer all the time?

Do you guys recommend the car at all?

Is it pretty much an A4 with a hatchback?

Is that price reasonable or should i low ball them?

Any suggestions or tips are highly appreciated.

Thanks

be nice to the new guy

Old 03-25-2010, 12:02 PM
1st Gear

The A3 is a great car to drive. Comfortable with excellent gas mileage for the plentiful power, especially with the DSG transmission. The paddle shifters allow manual shifts whenever wanted, without having to move the lever first.

The A3 is essentially a VW GTI, built better. The GTI has a better standard equipment list, but the A3 is generally less prone to squeaks and rattles, and has a nicer interior. Also, the A3 insures as a "station wagon" so that cost is relatively low. They aren't the most reliable cars out there, but they're not horrible either. If you want more reliablility in a similar car, I'd suggest the Mazda3.

The Premium package you mentioned gives a better ride than the alternative Sport package but sits higher (taller, softer springs) and doesn't handle as crisply. The Premium driver's seat is power, but doesn't hold you like the Sports seats.

The original Pirelli P6 tires are generally considerable horrible - very noisy early in their life, but there are plenty of better alternatives. Check tirerack.com.

The price seems OK, but Edmunds or Kelley would have better guidelines for that.

Here's a good list of weak points in the A3:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3366758

There are several thing not mentioned in that link. The 2.0T engines (at least the 2006-2009 versions) typically use oil at about 1500-2000 miles/quart, and they need good quality synthetic oil because of the turbo stresses. Mobil 1 0W-40 and Castrol 5W-40 are the two most recommended and readily available. The recommended change interval is 10,000 miles, but 5-6,000 is preferred by many. I get my oil analyzed at each change, and the lab confirms the need for that shorter interval.

The other item is the DSG Mechatronics module (transmission controller). Many of these have been replaced, mine included, because of rough operation at low speed (initial start from zero, stop-and-go traffic, parallel parking, etc.) and it is expensive if not done under warranty. The replacement modules are MUCH better - clutch operation is now much smoother at low speed. (Did you know that the DSG is not a typical torque converter auto?) I was getting pretty tired of the rough operation, especially in hot weather, and was thinking about trading my A3. The new Mechatronics transformed my feelings. Now I'm very happy with the car.

It is NOT a hatchback A4. The A4 uses the same engine mounted longitudinally, and the A4 auto ("Tiptronic") is more conventional. Its a good auto, but not like the DSG. Most A4's have Quattro (all-wheel drive), which the 2006 A3 2.0T does not. I drive mine in the snow occasionally (with dedicated winter tires) and I haven't missed the Quattro yet. A surprising difference is that the A4's have less rear leg room (until 2009, when it became very generous). My limited experience with A4's is that they're nice, but not nearly as fun to drive.

Like most cars these days, maintenance is more complex. There's plenty that can be done DIY, and there are many on-line sources of information. Here's a particularly excellent collection of tips, DIY, upgrades, etc:
http://oooo-a3.blogspot.com/

Like any used car, you should check the maintenance records. Oil changes are obvious, and the DSG fluid should have been changed at 35K, but the timing belt and water pump don't need replacement until at least 75K (some say even later).

Old 03-25-2010, 06:54 PM

Dang Thanks for the nice write up, i was hoping to get more info from more sources.

I'll have to highly consider the audi a3 then, looks really nice. but me not being a grease munky, it might end up expensive in the end. Hmm

Old 03-25-2010, 07:06 PM
1st Gear

Other A3 and related forums:

This one tends to be a bit more active than the A3 subset of AudiForums.com (the one we're in) lately:
http://forums.audiworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13

For those into lots of mods (seems to be a younger crowd):
http://forums.fourtitude.com/zeroforum?id=548

Lots of topic-specific forums (shared with VW's):
http://forums.fourtitude.com/zeromain?id=3