Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

BBS RG-R, Gunmetal

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 02:03 AM
1st Gear
Default BBS RG-R, Gunmetal

Hey everyone,

Does anyone have any feedback on these rims?

I'm considering a set of 18" BBS RG-R wheels in gunmetal grey. I am going to wrap them in Pirelli P Zero low profile tires.

Any thoughts on this? My A3 is the "dolphin grey" colour.

The other question I have for the forum is that the tuner here said to first change the wheels, see how it changes the road feel, then decide on coilovers or other mods to the suspension. Does that make sense? I don't want anything crazy firm (transport my 2 babies in the car ) so I think going up to the 18inch rims and firmer tires might be as far as I want to go in terms of stiffness for now.

Sorry I don't have a pic small enough of my car, but it's not the lava grey...it's dolphin...more like a gunmetal colour.

Thanks for taking a look and giving any feedback!

Old 02-01-2008, 04:12 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: BBS RG-R, Gunmetal

I could be mistaken, but I think eltonsi has those rims, as did stryker before he sold his A3. I haven't seen a Dolphin Grey, but they look sweeeeeet on Lava Grey!

Old 02-01-2008, 07:48 AM
1st Gear

They are lighter than stock wheels, around 19 lbs each. Low profile tires will make the ride a little bit more harsh. I also have FSD/Euro set up. It's just right for me. A little bit more comfortable driving normally, but much better handling driving hard.

https://www.audiforums.com/m_783032/tm.htm

Old 02-01-2008, 12:08 PM
1st Gear

Bmf and Eltonsi,

Thanks for the pics and the advice! They really look great on your car!!!

I originally selected Lava Grey, but Audi Taiwan had to order it, and unfortunately, my baby is also my daily driver so I just couldn't wait the 4-6 months for delivery. Getting used the the dolphin though...girls in Taiwan like conservative colours !

I think the gunmetal should play off nicely against the grey colour.. the guy here keeps pushing me to go all black, but I think that will be too heavy and the blackness!

Old 02-01-2008, 01:26 PM
2nd Gear

Do they make the A3 in dolphin grey in Taiwan? I'd love to get m hands on one of those.

Those are the typical BBS rims that you can't really go wrong with, they're also not the most unique rims considering a TON of people have that or similar style. They're still awesome rims though. Expect a stiffer ride because you're riding on less rubber and you can also see a small performance gain from the weight loss.

eltonsi whats the golden ratio of weight = hp? I thought it was something like 10 or 20lbs. is equivalent to 1hp or something?

Old 02-01-2008, 06:35 PM
1st Gear

Hi Woodhead,

Yeah, dolphin grey...it's the most popular colour in Taiwan. But, for me anyhow, it gets even better...its a 200bhp 2.0 TDI version. Can say enough great things about the engine's economy and performance! (torque till tomorrow..incredible pull pull pull out of that engine.)

Looks like diesel is the next 'green' wave in cars in the States, we will see if it catches on. It should, greener, but even better performance, and no ridiculously heavy battery to carry around and wipe out a car's balance and appearance!

Old 02-01-2008, 07:57 PM

I'm sooooooo jealous! I'd really love to have that TDI engine! Do you have Quattro too?

Man, you can do some serious mods to that bad boy, just don't go around breaking parts with all that torque.

Cheers!

Old 02-02-2008, 12:18 AM
1st Gear

Hi Chef,

The car is not quattro. It was a close call, but adding the cost of quattro in addition to the TDI and Open Sky would have pushed the car well into the price range of a well-equipped Audi A4 3.2 or a BMW 3series. So the cost, plus the fact that I drive in Taipei City and freeways for 90% of my driving nixed the quattro. But when I do take the mountain roads here in Taiwan (where driving laws are largely optional) quattro would be sweet.

As for mods to my engine, I'm all ears to your advice! I'm not sure what to start with....I'm new to Audi and the tuners here are not aggressive at all about selling products, you have to know what you want and then ask them to get it. (which is good, and bad if you are a TDI noob like me!) The car is DSG, so I am a little worried...not sure what the upper limit on the torque is for the DSG.

But on this board, I will continue to sing the praise of the mighty TDI...it is just an unbelievable rush when you hit the accelerator in 3rd girl when its already about 1200 rpm...can still peel out the fronts like this if you are too aggressive...and the car is already moving at 60km/h when that torque hits the ground.

Old 02-02-2008, 03:13 AM
2nd Gear

A Dolphin Gray TDI A3... i'm in love.I love diesels, a lot of my buddies have Duramax Desiels and we've madethe 9000lb trucks walk on STIs/Evos with ease with little modification (laptop tuning, built tranny, high flow lift pumps); onewasdynoed at 510bhp and 1150ft/lbs .Desiels put out some crazy power and still have some incredible mpg. I'm jealous TPE_A3!

Old 02-02-2008, 12:43 PM

I'm not sure what the limit of the torque is on the DSG transmission, and you're probably wise to find out before modding. That monster will have enough torque to do some serious damage if you're not careful. Obviously, as with any turbo car, the best first mod is to get the ECU chipped. I'm not sure that you'd want to go farther than that, given the fact you can already peel the tires in 3rd gear?

I'm still very envious.

Cheers!