Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Big Brakes and the Old Front Ones

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 11:11 PM
1st Gear
Default Big Brakes and the Old Front Ones

Hey guys,

I have been mullling around what mod I want to do first. After reading all of the CAI posts between the Carbonio and the EVOMS, chips, etc.
I think I am going to lay down my hard earned cash for the Porsche Big Break kit. (Someone has got to think about the whoa around here instead of all go or show)

Anyway I was wondering if I could re-mount the old front system to the rear? then throw out the rears.

In short I think the stock brakes SUCK.

Thanks a lot!

Old 04-28-2007, 11:04 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Big Brakes and the Old Front Ones

Yea that ecs porsche big brake system is pretty nice expensive but nice should improve yourstopping power x 10, you could just swap for an improved set of pads and lines to improve from the stock level.[8D]

Old 04-28-2007, 12:18 PM
1st Gear

I thought about that, but figured that could be $300-$400 I could be puting in the kit.

That is a really sweet ride you have!

Do you have braided lines and pad? Or do you know of anyone who has them? Curious if that makes any difference at all.

Old 04-28-2007, 12:22 PM
2nd Gear

I 'm still stock on that side of things i'm working on a fmic by forge should have it installed by june. What i've read is that the pads and lines improve your stopping over the stock set up.

Old 04-28-2007, 01:23 PM

I've talked to people with the BBK and others with just the S/S lines and pads. Both are big improvements on the stock set-up. It just depends on how much you are willing to spend, and if you are keeping the stock rims.

Old 04-29-2007, 10:58 PM
1st Gear

Thanks Chef,

Can I still fit 17's over the Porsche Brakes for winter driving? Or does it mandate 18's minimum?
I'm in Denver and this last winter was a fun one.

Old 04-30-2007, 01:47 AM

I'm trying to figure that one out for myself now. I'm hoping very much that they do work, or I'll be in the stainless steel line and pad upgrade program. I'll post my results.

Cheers!

Old 05-02-2007, 11:14 AM
1st Gear

Just my $0.02, I'm new to Audi. I put big brakes on the old M3 I had. The braking did improve, but the biggest thing with big break kits is an increased resistance to brake fading, which is important on a track, but not really very useful in every day life. the kit I got also was not friendly with the abs, and typically any modern abs car will out brake a big braked car. It was a bit scary in the rain also because you could easily lock up the brakes, so you had to go old school and pump the brakes on wet roads or risk skidding.

I ended up selling the big brakes and instead put in a bigger master cylinder for a faster response, better brake fluid, good pads, slotted and cross drilled rotors, and steel brake lines. the car was faster, braking was much improved over stock, and no skidding.

You have to remember that the larger rotors with the kit are going to increase the rotational inertia of the car and slow you down a bit when accelerating, same as putting larger rims on a car does.

Again, just what I know, I'd be interested to see what you end up doing and how you like it.

Old 05-02-2007, 12:38 PM
1st Gear

Akebono ceramic Euro pads - $90
Tyrolsport front bushings - $90
Bleed brakes - ????

This will get you improved pedal feel (less travel, more solid), much less dust, and increased fade resistance. Good enough for street and autocross use, maybe light tracking. I don't think the stainless lines will help much on an A3, but I haven't tried them.
Carbotech Bobcats are a roughly equivalent pad, and they're available for rear, also. Unfortunately, they don't have wear sensors, so you have to splice around them. Carbotech also has more agressive compounds available if you're willing to put up with noise and decreased cold bite.