Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Blue Smoke - should I be worried?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 01:59 PM
1st Gear
Default Blue Smoke - should I be worried?

I was coming out of work the other day and a friend of mine just told me he saw some blue clouds of smoke (like my car was running a bit rich) coming from my tail pipe when I hit it hard from the lights. It was in the late afternoon on a mildly hot day 75-80F and my car had been sitting all day in the lot so the engine would not have been all that warm. I have a CAI installed but not other mods to speak of. Could it be that the engine was not warm enough and the fact that I have a CAI the current stock Audi code does not know how to handle the fuel/air mixture correctly at low engine temps and all that. I guess what I want to know is this something I should be worried about I'll be getting my APR code flashed in about 2 weeks when APR delivers my exhaust to the auto shop I have contacted. Will the new code know how to handle a CAI better than the stock code I have at the moment. TIA

Old 05-18-2007, 02:21 PM
Default RE: Blue Smoke - should I be worried?

Just make sure that they log your car and have the fuel, air, and timing set correctly. Any reputable shop will do this as standard procedure. Our cars tend to run rich anyway, so I wouldn't worry at this point if it was just a quick wiff.

Cheers!

Old 05-18-2007, 02:27 PM

blue cloud - oil breach in the system so possibly cam stem oil seals depending on the miles and use

Old 05-18-2007, 02:27 PM
1st Gear

I believe it was just a quick few clouds as I accelerated hard around the corner from the lights. Then it was gone, of course I couldn't see it, so I'll have to go on what my friend is telling me. I'll make sure to ask the autoshop to check it out for me when they are hooked up to my ODBII port

cheers

Old 05-18-2007, 02:30 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: avant80@2.6

blue cloud - oil breach in the system so possibly cam stem oil seals depending on the miles and use
I have only done just under 9000, I changed the oil out at about 7750-8000. I drive the car spiritedly at times and like an old lady at other times I may have filled the oil a just a tad too much when I changed it out, but I would have though the little bit of excess oil would have burnt off by now, since that was like 1.5-2.0 months ago.

Old 05-18-2007, 02:34 PM

what oil are you using? it should be 05/30 synthetic and what the actual miles on the car?

Old 05-18-2007, 02:41 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: avant80@2.6

what oil are you using? it should be 05/30 synthetic and what the actual miles on the car?
Umm, it was Amsoil, the rating was 5W/40 I believe, but it said it was that VW502 spec. Actual miles on car as of now would be about ~8900 and I have had the car for about 12 months since brand new.

Old 05-18-2007, 02:48 PM

I would be concerned because of the age of the car and miles oil isn't a problem because that's what Audi recommend even though I think its sad, have them do a compression test it should be free ( new cars have more problems than older ones ) because they are run in

Old 05-18-2007, 02:58 PM
1st Gear

How are they going to take with me having a CAI on the engine though, would it cause them to think it might be related and not cover anything (if there is something wrong) under warranty. I mean the only things visibly modded at the moment is the CAI and a BOV (which I might be taking off anyways)

I just called my local dealer and had a good old chat to him. He was pretty relaxed on the mods I had and were going to get. We talked tech for a bit Anyways, he said it probably isn't anything to worry about at this point cause the car was cold and it probably was just some excess burning due to that and me planting the pedal. He said if I get too worried about it then they'll have a look at it for me. I also talked to him about warranty and mods and how they effect each other. And he said you just need to understand that you are taking the risk of introducing more stress to the engine and as a result if things do go wrong you need to understand that some liability will be put on you and it is really a case by case basis and what the technician at the time diagnoses. I mean if the part that fails is in no way connected to a mod then you fine. But if say a turbo problem occurs and you have a mechanical BOV/DV and CAI installed then depending on the problem you may be liable for it. Which I guess is the general understanding out there for the grey areas of the warranty. I also have a service warranty on my car for a number of years and I asked about that and again he said it shouldn't be effected so no dramas there. He also said their shop is aware of the mods out there and they are not against owners doing them and still having the car serviced with them. They just want the owners to know of the ins and outs with what they are doing and what the possibly risks they are running with. So I'm feeling pretty good after speaking with the dude down there

But I'll keep an eye on things and be sure to get my car down to them if something suspicious comes up.