Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Brake Lights Not Functioning

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 07:56 AM
1st Gear
Default Brake Lights Not Functioning

Whoever said bad things come in threes wasn't effing kidding! After my MAF buggered (which still ain't right), and the airbag light came on (still buggered), now the brake lights aren't working! Both sides and the top strip light.
I've done all the usual checks (fuses are fine, put in new bulbs) but they still aren't lighting up.
I'm guessing it's a relay somewhere as all 3 of the lights don't work.
Anybody got any suggestions?

Old 07-31-2005, 02:34 PM
Jex
1st Gear
Default RE: Brake Lights Not Functioning

It could be that the brake light switch is gone. The switch is located just above the brake pedal, but behind the plastic facia - I don't know whether you can get at it without taking the plastic covering off, but it's worth looking at.

Old 07-31-2005, 07:29 PM
1st Gear

Sorted it thanks. You were right. The fuse panel has got to come off, and then the front panel below the steering wheel. 30 minute job. £8 part!

Old 11-07-2005, 04:16 PM
1st Gear

cant believe how much help this forum has been after only about 20 minutes!

from my reading here it sounds like my MAF or air flow meter is duff (not sure which i have on my A3 1.8 T quattro (2000)) so am looking at whether i can buy one off ebay or somewhere else and fit myself. first thing might be to disconnect and drive without to see what happens, but i cant find a definative answer on here whether i can do that or not without blowing it up :-)

i have the same problem with the brake lights too though, nothing from any of them, maybe once in 30 times they work - neo, have you got any more info on how you sorted yours please? i need to do the same but cant be spending the hundreds poole Audi want from me as usual. i spotted about fuse panel coming off and below steering wheel, any chance you'd mind explaining in a bit more detail so i can pop down and put this new switch ive got on?

once this is sorted and the thing actually drives properly (no power around 3k rpm and or 4/5k rpm) then its a diverter valve next to see what sort of effect that has on the fun factor !!

thanks in advance guys

Old 11-09-2005, 04:49 PM
Jex
1st Gear

It is possible to disconnect the MAF sensor and drive, although in my case it just caused the revs to become more erratic - especially when idling - so I'm not sure how useful this is in diagnosing problems. In the end it turned out to be a faulty engine speed sensor - see https://www.audiforums.com/m_106175/.../tm.htm#106175

I think there are a number of possible sensor faults/failures which would give the same symptoms as a MAF failure, so it would be probably be best to get the fault codes read off the engine computer to confirm what's wrong.

If you're going to do more than a little DIY, get the Haynes manual for the A3 - it'll tell you how to do just about everything and is only ~£15.

Hope this helps.