Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Brand new Audi A3 1.9 TDi Sportback

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 08:42 AM
Default Brand new Audi A3 1.9 TDi Sportback

I've just bought my first Audi - the A3 1.9 TDi Sportback. After years of driving a BMW 318i, I find my new car rather hard to handle. The gearbox, handbrake, foot controls - everything feels rather alien and unfriendly to me. The diesel engine also has a sound that's not all too gentle on my ears! I don't want to complain - I know it's me and not the car. Could somebody with the same model please tell me a few positive things about their car that will make me feel slightly happier about my new baby? Thanks!

Old 09-11-2010, 08:06 PM
Thumbs up 1999 BMW 323i --> 2010 A3 TDI

I had to laugh a bit at first to your post, because I drove a '99 323 for 11 years - I joke that my *ss said BMW on it; I conformed to the car, not the other way around

I had two diesel rabbits ('80 & '83) so I'm familiar with the engine sound, though the TDI was way quieter! I do have to say this engine is night & day compared to those old oil burners. You practically had to put your foot out the door and push to get up hills, whereby the A3 TDI always has something more to give! I consistently got 50mpg on the diesel rabbits. Oh, and NO smell or smoke from this diesel !!

I do think it is you .. because I think its me too! It is a bit "alien" I suppose, but moving from any car to another will feel different. I compared a lot of other cars and drove the A3 (gas and TDI, and also the Golf TDI) a total of six times and decided the A3 would be my next car. I'm averaging 36mpg overall, and see 45 to 50 on the highway! Can't complain with that as mileage was my hot button. The A3 handles exceptionally, the engine is no couch potato, and its a lot of fun to drive! And the Bose Stereo! Awesome!

My 323 was smoother all around -- I would describe it as everything coated in rubber; a little soft at first, then firm. The A3 has wider & low profile tires and I think that makes it a bit firmer on the road. There is an issue with quick acceleration from a stop, a 1 second pause or delay, but I think its more the way the DSG works than anything else; I noticed the same thing on the gas engine. I take my foot off the brake and wait that second for the clutch to engage, and it then its fine. Guess that's me conforming to the car again

Old 09-12-2010, 03:32 AM
Default New insight!

Hi Keith! Thanks for your great reply! Yes, it WAS me all along, being a silly girl and all. A few weeks have passed, and do I ever LOVE my Audi A3 1.9 TDi now! It is still a bit noisy compared to my BMW, but I now find the diesel drone strangely peaceful as I'm driving along. The car feels safe and sturdy, and it is so willing to perform! After every trip I feel like stroking it, because I know its sole purpose is to please me and to serve me well. My BMW was a fantastic car, but already the little Audi is deep inside my heart! I love it! Thanks for adding to my greatly changed point of view regarding this beautiful little car!

Old 09-20-2010, 01:59 PM

Not to rain on your parade!

I have the same model a 2002 version and have developed an issue where the fuel gauge has gone very temprimental and now I have to fill up when it's at the 1/2 mark. Maybe just mine but something to keep an eye out for.

Looks like to me I will have to purchase a new dash pod to sort

Matt