AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A3 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a3-12/)
-   -   Cold Air-Intake (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a3-12/cold-air-intake-139050/)

MydKnight13 09-20-2009 06:44 PM

Cold Air-Intake

i am in the market looking for a cold air-intake. Any suggestions? Any brands you would recommend for me? But i'm not into spending more than $300. Thanks!

meshgiath 09-20-2009 09:46 PM

90% of the intakes for us are either $299 or below, so you've got choices!

However, there's a good bit of research to do as well. Here's what I have gathered:

1) the stock airbox does a good enough job that the performance gains are almost pointless - but the noise you get from it it nice. It makes your turbo come alive to anyone in the area. Every brand will advertise gains that vary 3-4hp and 4-6tq (who cares) but every review that went straight to a dyno for a before/after pull said "1-2hp-ish".

2) They may all LOOK the same, but the tube-style (non-carbonio) intakes are different. There were alot of complaints from the Neuspeed P-flo making odd noises. I haven't found any decent answers to this one yet - whether it was installation, location, whatever.... but ultimately hit up youtube/read reviews and/or flip a coin =P

3) The evoms isn't metal - it's some type of plastic injection mold-style. Seems like intake temps would be MUCH lower with their's. They get my vote for originality and forward thinking!

4) Heatshields and walls that isolate the intake from the engine bay are available on most models.

5) 1 or 2 intakes have DV reloc kits built in - which is nice =)

6) Oiled vs. dry filters - some people who don't know how to oil and dry their oiled-type filters complain of MAF failure. Just read the instructions, the difference in air flow between the two is nominal.

7) Some kits have "cold air extensions" or "race extensions"... same thing. It's an extra pipe to extend the filter from the engine bay corner down to inside the fenderwell for colder air

8) Evo Motorsports, Neuspeed, K&N, BSH, AFE, AWE, Forge, and I'm sure there are others I'm not thinking of right now all have kits for 2.0t's. Hit up fourtitude, search here, audizine and audiworld and you'll see what I mean about flipping a coin.

Just don't go into this intake pursuit thinking that because you get the one that supposedly dynoed 5hp higher or the one that has more filters that you're getting a leg up on anyone. You won't be. They're all similar enough that flipping a coin is about as useful as wasting all the time I did researching these things rofl

Ryder 09-23-2009 01:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Heres my eurosport intake i put on a month ago. It defently made a big difference with my apr stage 1 ecu upgrade. The stock airbox is basically a oven heating the air up going into your engine, plus it holds all the heat against the motor. There is alot of intakes out there, this one was only 230. And dont pay to have it installed. It takes about 20 mins to install.
PS. it won't void your warranty!
Attachment 42171

jordnalos 09-23-2009 09:51 AM

wait that wont void your warranty? My friend gave me a carbonio intake for christmas last year and while i was getting an oil change in the spring, my dealer told me it would.

Ryder 09-23-2009 11:38 PM

Look up the warranty law. Nothing can void your warranty unless they can prove it was the cause of the problem. Air intakes are actually good for your motor, specially turbo motors.
I have been to the dealer many times and have had warranty work done to it, like they replaced my run flap motor and crank senor which go bad on all 2.0t's. They never said one thing about my intake and they checked my ecu and didn't find my apr stage 1 upgrade, and even your ecu upgrade can't void the warranty. They just have you sign a paper saying they are not liable if it gets erased while re flashing your ecu.
Don't let the dealer boss you around i say, print out the us law on warranty's if they say anything.

jordnalos 09-24-2009 11:40 AM

thanks, I'll definitely keep that in mind at my next service. lol true that about the run flap motor, went in to my 25k service with a check engine and there it was, then they said it failed so they ordered a new one, suddenly they said oh the check engine light isn't on anymore so we can't technically replace it until the light comes back on they wasted my time, at least the maintenance was done and not paying for anything is something to complain

Ryder 09-24-2009 01:54 PM

Ok samething happened to me, i went back in with my check engine light off and they didnt want to replace it, so i googled audi's service bulletins and found one on the runflap motor and brought that paper in with me.Then they replaced it. So do a search for that service bulletin, i forget where i found it. It may have been on vwvortex forums.

Ryder 09-24-2009 09:07 PM

Here man, click on this link and scroll down the thread it takes you too. The service bulletin from Audi is on it. Print that out and take it to your dealer. They can't deny the service if you have this. Also your ecu or ecm saves all error codes that go off in your car, so they can pull up the old error codes from when your engine light was on!!!!!!! They pulled them from mine even though my check engine light was off, it even says they did in my reciept from Audi.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3702992

MydKnight13 09-25-2009 01:22 AM

so pretty much i have to upgrade my stage 1 ecu?

Ryder 09-25-2009 04:17 PM

Do you have a stage one? When they put in the run flap motor they didnt upgrade my ecu. But they might try it on yours to make sure that you really need a run flap motor. There is a repair number in that service bulletin for just the run flap motor too.
Apr stage 1 is a aftermarket upgrade not from the dealer, wasn't sure if you knew that.