Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Cross referencing parts from VW Golf GTI? to 2002 Audi A3 1.8T?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 07:56 PM
1st Gear
Default Cross referencing parts from VW Golf GTI? to 2002 Audi A3 1.8T?

Okay, I have a 2002 Audi A3 1.8T spec'd in Japan and I get confused at times trying to order parts from the US since they do not have this model in US. I bought the Haynes Audi A3 service and repair manual for 1996 to 2003 Audi A3 and it helps me some with other things too, but still confusing due to the types of engines.

I have engine code AUQ and I was able to use the same year VW Golf GTI w/1.8L T to order my oil dipstick and dipstick tube (it was correct) and installed. I ordered oil filters (Mann) and the newer part number with the extra oil capacity and the local service said they could not change the oil filter as it was too big. I have not confirmed that yet.

So now I want to order a fuel filter and afraid to use the same specs from GTI and I guess it is best to physically go under and see what the part number on the car is and the type.

What platform exactly does the 2002 Audi A3 with 1.8L Turbo share in common with VW model. It looks like the Golf to me so I thought to use the cross reference of everything the same except the body or interior differences, etc.

Thanks in advance to this crazy question. I don't want to go to the Audi dealer here in Japan and get raped or the VW dealer for that matter. There is a huge lost in translation thing to deal with too since I don't know the language, although I am sure they have English speaking staff. I prefer to order my parts in the US via the internet, just have to figure out how to cross reference.

Craig

Old 07-11-2011, 07:44 PM
Former Sponsor

I can look up non US parts, can't order them if they are different than US parts though. For your fuel filter you'd use 1J0201511A and that is shared with many other Audi cars. The 02-05 v6 A4 for one. I can't tell you anything about the VW end of this but you can run that part number by that dealer if they are the closest one to you. See if that works out. That filter from us is 11.25 plus shipping, which we would have to work out what the price on that would be, if you are interested. Thanks, Jeff.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:26 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Jeff-AudiUSAParts
I can look up non US parts, can't order them if they are different than US parts though. For your fuel filter you'd use 1J0201511A and that is shared with many other Audi cars. The 02-05 v6 A4 for one. I can't tell you anything about the VW end of this but you can run that part number by that dealer if they are the closest one to you. See if that works out. That filter from us is 11.25 plus shipping, which we would have to work out what the price on that would be, if you are interested. Thanks, Jeff.
Thanks Jeff and I'll keep you in mind. For now, I had already ordered a Mann filter using VW Golf GTI 1.8T application from Amazon.com after looking at the original filter. All it had was an inlet and outlet that looked the same. When I did look up Audi A4 application for the same year with the 1.8 it showed a $60 retail filter and picture has 3 additional tubes on it so it sure is confusing. I hope the one that comes in is correct.

Thanks again,

Craig

Old 07-12-2011, 11:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Glad to help. I looked up 2 different part numbers to an A4 fuel filter a while back. The strange thing is they looked identical, but had two different part numbers on the box. One was for quattro, other not. And it wasn't a mounting issue being the difference either. I'd double check the part numbers to what you have on your car, and what you are going to put on it. Make sure they are the same before installation. Thanks!

Old 07-13-2011, 04:30 AM
1st Gear

I'm going to match up the filter first and want to have something on hand. I could not get any information off the old filter with it mounted and did not want to mess with it since those connections are brittle and you have to be careful. Thanks again.