Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Dension 100 in 2006 A3 w/ concert (2?) radio

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 08:54 AM
1st Gear
Default Dension 100 in 2006 A3 w/ concert (2?) radio

Hey guys...

Wondering if anyone has had any success installing a Dension 100 (http://enfigcarstereo.com/shopsite_s...N_GW16AC2.html) in a 2006 A3 with the concert radio. My radio has controls for Satellite, and a port for a CD changer in the glovebox. Everything hooked up fine but I have no idea how to access the Dension from my radio controls. Sat button produces "NO SAT INSTALLED" message on the display, tried double pressing CD button... no dice. Any help is appreciated, thanks so much.

Old 09-24-2010, 06:03 PM
1st Gear

You may have to use VCDS to tell the car you've installed a CD changer, in order to make the changer mode accessible.

I installed the Dension 300 in my 2010 A3 (Concert II+ headunit, Bose, Sirius), and it worked without issue. To access my Dension, I just press the CD button once -- that brings up the CD changer mode on the Concert II+, and the preset buttons let me select various menus on the DIS to select which artist/song/album/etc. Pressing the CD button again switches to the Concert's built-in single CD player.

Also be sure to double check your connections, including those to your iPod/iPhone.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:28 AM
1st Gear
Default Gateway 100: PICTURE PARADE!

Finally, we're getting to the nuts and bolts here. I bought my 2007 A3 two months ago and aside from loving it as a fun vehicle, I thought it would just be more fun with a connection for my iPhone 3GS. I bought the Dension 100 AC2 from Autotoys along with a Bracketron universal mount and the Dension IP51CR9 cradle. I thought about making the ashtray dock but ultimately decided that having it next to the head unit made more sense, even if it wasn't as clean. I'm ultimately happy with the results of the whole install. It really only took plenty of time planning and waiting for the unit to be delivered and about 20 minutes installing everything. It's certainly a bit of a learning curve, but once you memorize it, it's great! It displays the information via the heads up computer and is pretty easy to work with, even if you want to control through the iPod/iPhone.

Here are all the parts I ordered:
Name:  IMG_5260.jpg
Views: 1134
Size:  50.3 KB

Push the keys in and wiggle the radio out:
Name:  IMG_5269.jpg
Views: 6090
Size:  88.4 KB

All you basically have are three things to plug in. The Dension cradle plugs into the Gateway head unit and the black plug for the head unit plugs into the red Dension plug. The newer Dension red male plugs into the head unit and you're basically done with the plugging of things.
Name:  IMG_5276.jpg
Views: 1084
Size:  72.4 KB
Name:  IMG_5278.jpg
Views: 3837
Size:  79.7 KB

The only other thing left for connections is to connect the ground wire somewhere on the radio chassis. I chose this location(sorry for the blur):
Name:  IMG_5279.jpg
Views: 1377
Size:  96.0 KB

I just tucked the Dension Gateway back into the cavity behind the stereo and began to route the cradle wiring via the glovebox. There's a hole through the center console cavity and the glovebox. You just pull out the stubborn insert in the glovebox and you're rewarded with channels all over for running your wires. I chose to run mine in the channel on the bottom left. It pinches the wire a little bit, but if you get it installed right, you will only ever pinch the wire once. The cable tucked up in a channel along the edge of the glovebox and allows for it to close easily without pinching. For the mount, I screwed it in to the right side of the stereo. I couldn't justify paying $15 more for a custom mount and this mount works just fine. It's very secure and I like the routing of the cable and mount.
Name:  IMG_5273.jpg
Views: 1265
Size:  101.8 KB
Name:  IMG_5285.jpg
Views: 1009
Size:  48.0 KB
Name:  IMG_5288.jpg
Views: 1062
Size:  53.3 KB
Name:  IMG_5290.jpg
Views: 1063
Size:  50.9 KB
Name:  IMG_5294.jpg
Views: 1787
Size:  67.8 KB
So, with it all installed, you fire it up and see it searching in the text display on the center computer. It's nice to have the name, wish it would show up on the Concert II as well but you can't have it all, right? Scrolling and navigating is not that bad once you learn the system.
Yes, it's pricey for what it really is, but it is the best option out there(even better than Audi's option). If a Parrot Bluetooth system weren't so expensive(for plug & play) I would have installed that as well. I just don't talk on the phone enough in the car to justify another $300 expense. Maybe someday when there's frivolous money....nah, I'll replace the sub with a custom stealth box!
Name:  IMG_5292.jpg
Views: 1089
Size:  60.3 KB
Name:  IMG_5266.jpg
Views: 1035
Size:  80.1 KB

Last edited by xyian11; 09-26-2010 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:29 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by tehtrav
Hey guys...

Wondering if anyone has had any success installing a Dension 100 (http://enfigcarstereo.com/shopsite_s...N_GW16AC2.html) in a 2006 A3 with the concert radio. My radio has controls for Satellite, and a port for a CD changer in the glovebox. Everything hooked up fine but I have no idea how to access the Dension from my radio controls. Sat button produces "NO SAT INSTALLED" message on the display, tried double pressing CD button... no dice. Any help is appreciated, thanks so much.
Seems silly, but did you make sure to install the ground wire?

Old 09-27-2010, 10:18 AM
1st Gear

I appreciate the help guys.

xyian11, I'll pay more attention to my ground connection. I used one of the screws that goes into the cage—I'll try the ground you used in your photos.

Your car has the cd changer in the glovebox, right? Mine has the cable routed to the glovebox, but no changer (I don't have the Bose system). So I'm guessing my radio is not programmed to shift from the single CD to multiple CDs as if it had the CD changer.

I guess I'll do some research to see if there are VCDS codes for programming the Concert II to change to multiple CDs.

Again, thanks a bunch for your help.

Old 09-27-2010, 04:10 PM
1st Gear

I'll be darned! It was a faulty ground connection. I grounded the Dension cradle to one of the screws on the head unit's casing, and whalla—CD changer controls are working now.

The Dension manual describes a few options in which an iPod's click wheel is accessible during playback—is something similar achievable with an iPhone? I know mine locks me out of using ipod controls (other than the "now playing" cd art on the lock screen of course) when using iOS 4.1

Old 09-28-2010, 12:35 AM
1st Gear
Talking

Tehtrav, check the instructions. It should be disc 6 that gets you to how you want to control the whole thing. I have steering wheel controls that I prefer to use. What sucks is when you're using the Dension GW, the iPhone doesn't display album art unless it locks out. That's something I wish they would fix with a firmware update.
In disc 6, it will search through and you can select iPod UI(I believe) and that will allow you to control from your iPhone. I usually use that to start my drive but switch over to the Dension GW.
If anything, I'm finding that it's most useful to either go all random or go with playlists. I have few playlists.
My A3 does not have a cd changer set up, nor did it have Nav. I had the bare bones set up. But it's working like a charm and I'm really happy with how it looks. Everyone thinks I spent $200 on a mount. I have to show them the steering controls and they understand and want one for their car: of which it's unlikely unavailable.

Last edited by xyian11; 09-28-2010 at 12:38 AM.
Old 12-25-2010, 12:48 PM
1st Gear

great idea/install

did you ever upgrade or try this with an iphone4?

Old 12-26-2010, 09:38 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by theblue
great idea/install

did you ever upgrade or try this with an iphone4?
I have not. I'll try out my girlfriend's 4 in this and let you know if it works just fine. I don't see why it won't. It will still give you the "DISMISS" message but that's nothing.

Old 12-26-2010, 09:44 AM
1st Gear

please do! I'm thinking of being a copycat if you report back with all working.

Quick Reply: Dension 100 in 2006 A3 w/ concert (2?) radio