Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

DSG shifts weird on occasions

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 11:35 AM
1st Gear
Default DSG shifts weird on occasions

Hi guys,

From time to time when I pick from a very slow speed like 2-5mph, DSG will start on 2nd gear. If i only give it a little bit gas (probably 1/4 inch on the throttle) and keep it there, DSG seems to upshift too fast and I heard "clunk!" Whenever this happens, it's always between 2nd and 3rd gear. Happened once or twice between 3rd and 4th.

Is that normal? Have you experienced something similar?

Thanks

Old 05-08-2008, 08:25 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: DSG shifts weird on occasions

Hey Omni,

Shifting into 2nd under low acceleration loads is totally normal.

clunk? Not sure by your description! Mine doesn't clunk, so I lean towards that being unusual. If it does it consistently, take it to the dealer and have them replicate it. There are mechanical parts moving around, so noise is expected, but clunking, I don't think so! Or is it just that it goes back into 1st and kind of 'grabs' pretty abruptly?

I love DSG and was asking about it on the A5 which doesn't have it yet (heard it will with the new dry-clutch 7 speed DSG) but the sales rep made an interesting point...he felt the DSG was too sporty for higher end cars, because it can grab harder than an automatic. To me, that's what makes me love the DSG, great performance. But it can be a bit jerky in lower gears at low speed, but not anything that bothers me.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:16 PM
1st Gear

Hey TPE,
The "clunk" I was talking about is kind of like when you shift from 2nd to 5th gear at 20 mph and then stomp on the gas. Or like on a multi-speed bicycle when you shift to the biggest gear at low speed, it "clunks" when the chain catches the next tooth. Sorry I'm describing the problem very well =P. Maybe it's just DSG has a bad shift point programmed at that speed. I'm going to try reproducing it and how that goes.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:35 AM
1st Gear

I think I have experienced the same noise. I mostly notice it on the first 2-3 shift of the day. The best way I can describe the noise is that it sounds like the locks automatically locking on the doors, which I know happens. When I leave my garage, I hear the doors the lock, then a couple seconds later when the 2-3 shift takes place, I hear a very similar noise. Very strange. After the initial shift, I never hear it again until the car sits for a while.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:56 AM
1st Gear

When I'm moving at very low speed (just creeping along), the DSG in "D" is quite jerky, soI switch into "S" for those conditions (which holds 1st gear instead of shifting quickly into 2nd). That solves my "problem". Maybe it would work for you?

Old 05-09-2008, 02:46 PM
1st Gear

I know the clunk your talking about at low gears and I get it a lot. I usually get it at very low speeds in the lower gears.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:50 PM
1st Gear

been long time since this thread haha, but i've been experiencing some clunking from the dsg for awhile now although it doesnt happen all the time. It occurs when my car is slowing and when it's downshifting from the 3rd to the 2nd gear, then there will be a random clunking sound sometimes. The noise varies from loud to quiet sometimes. So i guess the clunk usually happens in low speed at low gears as well. So would this be a problem for DSG? and were any of you able to get it fix, or find the cause to this clunking issue?

Old 08-06-2008, 11:53 PM
1st Gear

The clunk thread is back.

Not that this adds much to diagnosing your clunk..I did notice this.

My A3 TDI DSG was quite loud, especially when going slow into a parking garage etc. Sounded weird to me, so I mentioned it to Audi, who found nothing wrong.

Now with my TT 2.0T DSG there is no noise at all from the DSG going into the parking lot. NOW, before anyone mentions the obvious, i CAN tell what a TDI sounds like versus the tranny sound!

Old 08-15-2008, 05:27 PM

CJKCyclone,

This exactly the problem I am experienced. Only happen in the first couple minutes in the morning. From 2nd to 3rd. Sometimes it is louder like the gears grinding each other for half a second, sometimes it sound like the locks automatically locking "clunk".

I bring it in the dealer twice. Both leave it overnight and the technician claimed cannot duplicate. The last time, I left it one more night, went in in person to show it.
A not so loud "clunk" happened and the technician said he just heard the auto lock sound, but I am pretty sure the locks has already been locked when the car left the dealer parking lot !

They even said they have not heard about this problem at all. And since the problem happen so spotty, even if I can duplicate it they may not be able to find the problem.

Also mentioned that since the issue has already been log in the record, if any premature wear happen after warranty, they should be able to reference this. (I doubt that).

Very frustrated.