Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Paint got on my car... HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 02:34 PM
1st Gear
Default Paint got on my car... HELP

So I just went out to lunch and noticed there are paint spatters all over the drivers side of my car... I tried scratching it off with my nail, but its on there good! There are a few spatters on the glass, but I guess I can just use a razor blade on those... but what about the marks on my doors and fender??

Here are some pics (the quality sucks they came from my phone)...

Any suggestions as to what is strong enough to remove the paint but not too strong to hurt my car's real paint??

Old 08-02-2007, 02:38 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Paint got on my car... HELP

I take it somebody is doing some painting in the area? If so, it might behoove you to let them know that they got paint on your car. They should pay to have this repaired.

Old 08-02-2007, 02:41 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: AManCalledE

I take it somebody is doing some painting in the area? If so, it might behoove you to let them know that they got paint on your car. They should pay to have this repaired.
I live in Manhattan... Unfortunately thats not really going to be an option.

The way the spatter is it also looks like it almost could have been dripping from a car next to me that I passed on the way to work... I have no way of finding out who it was... otherwise I would definitely send them a bill!!

Old 08-02-2007, 02:46 PM
1st Gear

Hmmmm,....yeah, thats no good. I would ask around in the detailing section to see if they have any ideas. I don't think that a rubbing / buffingcompound would do the trick, but it might not hurt to try.

Old 08-02-2007, 03:02 PM
1st Gear

I just saw THIS THREAD. May be worth looking into

Old 08-02-2007, 04:14 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: robertmrome

ORIGINAL: AManCalledE

I live in Manhattan... Unfortunately thats not really going to be an option.

The way the spatter is it also looks like it almost could have been dripping from a car next to me that I passed on the way to work... I have no way of finding out who it was... otherwise I would definitely send them a bill!!
Sorry to hear about this. This puts my freak gas pump accident to shame.

Maybe bring the car back to the dealer, since you just got it, and show them what happened.
They may have some to solve this issue and remove the spilled paint on your vehicle.

A professional detailing shop might be able to do something as well.

Those options are all after you tried some home remedies your own of course.

Old 08-03-2007, 09:49 AM
1st Gear

A few months ago, shortly after I bought my 2006 A3, the car in front on me on the highway ran over a can of spray paint. The resulting paint cloud was amazing, and dried on impact with my car. Every forward facing surface was coated.

The very next day, I took it to a local body shop recommended by my Audi dealer. For $200, he spent hours cleaning the car with reducer, and it came out pretty damn good. He used 000 steel wool to clean the glass surfaces. The only remaining paint is buried deep in the grill. After a good waxing to restore the shine, she's as good as new.

Here's a few "before" images:

Old 08-03-2007, 10:37 AM
1st Gear

I would think your comprehensive insurance would cover this. To me it's no different than a stone cracking my windshield from a truck I can't ID. They pay for that minus my deductible. And any detail shop can get paint off. My neighbor had his house painted a couple of years ago and the clowns sprayed paint on a windy day. Needless to say my A4 got its share. One day at the detailer and it was all gone. Seems I remember him saying he used "clay" to remove it.

Old 08-03-2007, 01:43 PM

ORIGINAL: dcny7777

This puts my freak gas pump accident to shame.
No, sorry, it doesn't. Not by a long shot!

Old 08-03-2007, 03:41 PM
1st Gear

Gentle rubbing with grocery-purchased Extra Virgin Olive Oil will remove recently-dried paint and is extremely mild at the same time. See if that does the trick.

Quick Reply: Paint got on my car... HELP