Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Electrical Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 01:41 PM
Default Electrical Problems

Hi guys

This is my first post here, great forum, writing from Bogota, Colombia. I have a big problem with my car.
I bought a 2001 A3 1.8T just two months ago, to replace my 99 Civic SI, which btw in 6 years gave me zero problems.

Only 2 months with my Audi, I have a big electrical problem. And it seems electrical problems are a little common, which doesn't make me too happy. Don't get me wrong, the car is great, mine only has 40k miles and its a 2001.

Anyway, about the electrical problem, first a couple of weeks ago, my reverse lights (white) stopped working. For no reason, checked the bulbs, the fuse, they were good.
A couple of days ago, several things stopped working. My horn, the corner lights, the AC, the windshield whipers.
Again checked the fuses, all working, including those in the battery compartment.

It seems like the only option now is to take it to the dealer, and well here in Colombia, its ridiculous what they charge at Audi, people avoid it unless there is no other option.
I would like suggestions on what to try before taking my car for a $500 checkup, how I can check relays or what else. [X(]
I appreciate anyones help, and sorry about any deficiency in my english grammar.

Old 04-23-2007, 05:51 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Electrical Problems

Have you checked the voltage put out by the battery?

Old 04-23-2007, 06:46 PM

Cuski, thanks for replying.

And no have not checked voltage. Are you suggesting it might be a discharged battery? Because I have run the car for close to an hour and still nothing.
Here is something curious.
When I pull back on the right lever of steering wheel (for high beams) the high beams work. But otherwise no headlights at all.
Also the blinkers work if I put the hazards on, but they will not work when activated as turn signals.
Since all the systems died instantly I think it should be something they share, either a relay, or else. Where can I find wiring diagrams and instructions online? Its virtually impossible to find manuals here in South America. I appreciate your reply, thanks. I will keep trying different suggestions for a few days before going to the dealership.

Old 04-23-2007, 09:36 PM
1st Gear

Discharged battery (perhaps due to old battery or even dying alternator) was my first guess... but after the additional symptoms you mention, I don't know what to say... It would be helpful if you could find anyone with a VAG-COM in your neighbourhood, and see if the ECU throws any codes.

Edit: on second thought, perhaps you should check the voltage, too. I know some systems take priority over others when the voltage is low, and the hazards is probably one of them.