Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Engine Acoustics

Old 10-09-2009, 09:22 AM
Default Engine Acoustics

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forums but not to the scene. Just got my first A3 last week as I stepped off the VW's for a bit. Its a 2006 so its the FSI 2.0T.

I kept my Jetta as my recreational project and said I wouldnt mod the A3. I bought the car last thursday and already have an intake installed, a DV spacer in the mail and am going to run the APR demo this weekend to see how fun it can be (Once you start you cannot stop).

My question to you is how loud will the turbo purge be? The intake I installed is just the Carbonio as I got a stupid deal on it and I didn't want to spend $480 on the "Louder one" just yet lol. So with that intake and the Diverter Valve Spacer from Forge how loud is this going to be? I realize there is a risk of the Valve failing but the car is still under 2 years of cert warranty so whatever.

Cheers,

Old 10-14-2009, 12:11 AM

First just get yourself a Eurosport intake, they are only 230, but the one u got is fine for now.
2nd i was told by a local tuner shop that spacers and blow off valves are actually not good for this motor, not sure why but they told me not to do it. That means alot when i shop turns away making money to me.
3rd the apr stage 1 is totally worth it, you might as well just buy it. I have it on my car but if you have a dsg, your going to want to get the Giac dsg flash software to, since your putting all that hp to the wheels now, the transmission isn't programed for that. You can still run the apr software with out the giac flash but you will want to get it soon after the apr flash. I have both on my A3, before i got the dsg flashed my transmission would upshift really hard and not in a good way, after the dsg flash it was perfect, it also shifts even faster, and you dont have that lag when putting the car into drive.
Google giac dsg flash and read up on it, they also make basically the same stage 1 as apr.

Last edited by Ryder; 10-14-2009 at 12:13 AM.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:53 AM

90% of the intakes for the FSI 2.0t are in the $200-$250 range. No need to spend $480 (?). I got a sick deal on my carbonio as well, otherwise I'd still be stock!

The DV Spacers forge sells (if you're looking for noise) vent to the atmosphere. The stock DV, of course recirculates. Forge's DV spacer changes the A/F because it's venting metered air. Air that would mix with the fuel dumped into the system if it weren't vented. So if you're looking for sound, you're going to be running a little rich. SEVERAL people have complained of having oil leak around their forge or of boost leaks due to either bad sealing o-rings or the engine not being warm enough.

But they're loud enough - loud enough to be called "ricey" by some folks. You nor anyone in a 200ft radius will miss it =P

One discussion:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2500310&page=2

Old 10-14-2009, 03:23 PM

Yeah, people seem to dump the carbonios quite quickly. The intake I was going to get is the Evoms. It comes with a replacement engine cover to keep the engine pretty with the beefier CAI unlike a few I have seen.

I'll try the spacer out. It is a quick install from what I understand. I read through the thread meshgiath posted and it seems to be poor installation and various other problems that could be causing boost leaks, etc.

Yes, this is definitely the riciest thing I have done in awhile. Should be fun though as along as it isn't too obnoxious. Someone posted that even in low boost it is loud.

As for software I plan to run APR. I have a few buds that sell both Unitronic and APR so I'll try both out for now just because I can play them off each other for price lol.

Thanks for the info guys.

*Edit*

Also, I drive a 6 speed manual which is always fun.

Last edited by Weered; 10-14-2009 at 03:25 PM.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:13 PM

Ok so this is why i hate engine covers. They cook you motor and intake like a oven, that plate is actually trapping the hot 200 some degree temps against your motor. And if you still had the stock air box its basically a oven heating the air up going into the motor and holding the heat against the valve cover, that was the first thing i got rid of, my motor actually runs a few degrees cooler now.

but yea have fun with that apr software, it will make your car a monster lol. Make sure you get some good tires cause it will want to smoke them off every time you lay into it, get some nice sticky tires.

Old 10-15-2009, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Weered
Yeah, people seem to dump the carbonios quite quickly. The intake I was going to get is the Evoms. It comes with a replacement engine cover to keep the engine pretty with the beefier CAI unlike a few I have seen.
I noticed that too! the odd thing is, airflows between just a drop in k&n and any pipe/tube-style intake with a cone filter are barely different! But I would definitely go Evoms if I was buying today. The piping is a plastic/resin and the shield has a good seal so intake temps will be amazing!

Old 10-16-2009, 11:06 AM

They sell a extension pipe that puts your air filter right behind your front bumper, below the engine , so it gets nothing but cold air, just short of being a ram air system. I forget what site has it but it hooks right into a aftermarket intake. I would imagine you would have to clean it alot more.

Old 10-16-2009, 02:26 PM

I am still a bit hesitant. I want something that will perform well with the added power and drivability from the APR software. The carbonio did mildly help with the throttle response but it did little for sound. A friend of mine has the Evoms on his GTI that was built in the US, it has a KO4 and about 320whp and you can hear the turbo screaming when it spools which is what I want. But I doubt even with the chip and Evoms that it will be anything close to his murderous sound.