AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A3 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a3-12/)
-   -   Euro Audi A3 question (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a3-12/euro-audi-a3-question-80714/)

EuroScuby 11-06-2007 05:19 AM

Euro Audi A3 question

OK, I am new to the Audi. I live in Germany and drive a highly modified '04 Subaru STI. My STI went from a daily driver to a track car (I got addicted to the Nurburgring) and I am looking to pick up a new daily driver. I have noticed that American Audi does not advertise the A3 2-door on their website. Is it possible to buy a 2-door A3 in the states (out of curiousity)? My other question is selecting the motor. As I am new to the Audi or will be soon, I have no idea as to the potential of the available powertrains. I can see where the 2.0L Turbo has plenty of potential but I am not familiar with the 3.2L. Are there any modifications being done to the 3.2L (e.g Turbo kits etc...)? Thanks for any help you can offer.

BAMF 11-07-2007 03:42 AM

RE: Euro Audi A3 question

You are right - the A3 is only offered as a 4-door in the US. It's too bad, I really like the looks of the 2 door.

As far as engines go, the 2.0T is going to be much more economical to mod. I've seen a few kits marketed for the 3.2 that can make over 400hp, but they are ridiculously expensive (I think one of the kits I saw was $10k!) I haven't seen anyone on the forums who's put a turbo or supercharger on the 3.2, so I don't know anything about the quality of the kits. You can get a chip tune for the 3.2, but it's only like 10hp gain. I've seen plenty of Mk5 GTI's with big turbos on the 2.0T making over 300hp though.

EuroScuby 11-07-2007 08:33 AM

Thanks for your reply. I suppose I'll have to test drive both of them to figure out which I prefer. Which ever one I buy, I need to leave stock anyways to use as a daily driver and get my arse to modifications annonymous and get rid of this mod addiction.

BAMF 11-07-2007 05:45 PM

Haha, I hear ya! Well if you go for the 2.0T, you can get a chip tune that gives it the same power as the 3.2, plus you can retain the stock tune and switch back and forth easily. A chip tune won't break the bank, but it is still plenty of power to have a great time with- even with no further mods. Down side is you can only get Quattro with a 3.2, don't know if that's a deal-breaker for you.

2.0T + $500 tune = 250hp
-or-
3.2 ($6000 over 2.0T with same options) = 250hp + Quattro

:D

P.S. One more thing to consider: The 2.0T is available with manual trans or DSG, the 3.2 is DSG only.

EuroScuby 11-09-2007 06:38 AM

I am definetely an AWD guy so I am definetely interested quattro. So you're saying that the 3.2L is the only model with quattro?

mark80scu 11-09-2007 11:40 AM

in europe you should be able to get the 2.0T in quattro as well, i'm 100% sure about that

BAMF 11-09-2007 12:11 PM

In Europe you can get the 2.0T with Quattro, but in the States the 2.0T is only offered in FWD (must get 3.2 for Quattro). It seemed like you indicated in your first post that you were looking to pick up an A3 in the US, correct?