Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Extended warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 12:25 PM
1st Gear
Default Extended warranty?

I just got a welcome to Audi package in the mail and it has a page which describes (ever so briefly) the extended warranty programs available for the A3 -Silver, Gold, Gold Plus & Platinum plus. I purchased the 50k miles service warranty when I bought the car but does anyone know the details on these in relation to the A3 (eg. cost, coverage, etc)?

Thanks,
Joe

Old 12-01-2007, 05:24 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Extended warranty?

I just recently did the same (Audi Care $590 service package that covers 4 visits up to 45K miles). I figure with the cost of the oil changes for the 4 visits adding up to $100 each, and added onto that are the major maintenance at 35K miles which would run up over $200 or more... adding the fluid changes and any wiper blades that need to be replaced, it does pay for itself over time.

As far as Extended Warranty, I don't see the coverage on the Audi-branded extended warranty. Is this being offered via a third party? The extended warranty usually comes into play on used or older cars as the main manufacturer's new car warranty covers pretty much everything else. I'd be interested in knowing what further coverage the extended warranty has.

Old 12-01-2007, 11:18 PM
1st Gear

It was in a booklet which I received from Audi called the Audi Experience. I called the 800 # today to ask about the details and the guy told me to call my dealer (that was a lot of help).

Old 12-02-2007, 10:36 AM

FWIW, extended warranty's aren't usually worth the money.

Cheers!

Old 12-03-2007, 08:14 AM
1st Gear

if you have geico you can get MBI (mechanical breakdown insurance) within 15 months or 15,000 miles from purchase date. it pretty much covers everything in the car and it's a hell of a lot cheaper than any other extended warranty (like $35 a year).

http://www.geico.com/auto/safety/mbi.htm

Old 12-04-2007, 06:29 PM
1st Gear

Kinda depends on the car whether or not it is worth it. I know that the one on my last car was totally paid for by the time they were installing the third rack and pinion and the newtransmission, coolant system work, cd player and miscellaneous other bitswere just the icing on the cake.

I look at it as insurance. Cars are no longer simple and when you have a ton of fancy features and complex electronics, even little things get expensive fast. Plus, with more stuff there is a higher chance something will croak. I got my extended warranty for around $1500 and I'm covered (with trip interruption reimbursement and rental) for 7 years, 70K miles. There is a good chance that if anything breaks between month 37 and month 84, the warranty will pay for itself. If you pay the asking price for the warranty, it IS expensive. BUT there is a lot of profit in them, which means there is lots of room to make the price more reasonable. I paid a teensy bit less than half, which I figure was a decent deal. For me, both extended warranties cost less than just the transmission work on my last car would have been if I'd had to pay it myself, so I still figure I'm ahead of the game.