AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A3 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a3-12/)
-   -   Fan Control Module Location (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a3-12/fan-control-module-location-185564/)

pconn171 07-23-2012 09:41 AM

Fan Control Module Location

I have a 2006 Audi A3, 2.0TFSI and I've been struggling with my cooling fans. I took it to a shop because the A/C wasn't working. They charged it up, but told me that the cooling fans weren't turning on. They said that it would $600 to replace them. I went to google and found them much cheaper so I figured that I could just do them myself. I order them and the one came in broken from shipping. During this same time, I had to take my car into the dealer to get a couple of recalls done. I asked them to check my fans and see what I needed. They came back and said that I needed a new fan control module. Now I've searched and torn the car apart and can't seem to find a fan control module anywhere. Oddly enough, I find the parts online from time to time, but I'm not so sure that they are the correct one for my car. Can someone please tell me if this car has a fan control module (that isn't built into the fan unit) and where in the heck it is? Thanks.

Pat

sheldon 07-23-2012 06:47 PM

I'm currently at work but I think to recall that the Bentley said something about finding the Fan control module underneath the battery.
I will check for you when I get home and confirm if no one else has replied.

I have the same problem in my 2007 A3 with the AC except it isn't the fan but the G65 sensor/switch causing the A/C to work intermittently. Anyhow I also checked into a possible fan issue and read through the fan section. Again I will check when I get home- if it isn't integrated into the fan, it is underneath the battery (if memory serves me right)

pconn171 07-23-2012 09:08 PM

After searching for the last few days online and coming up quite short, I tore the battery out yesterday and the housing the it mounts to and there definitely wasn't a module under there. After posting this today, I realized that I wasn't working on a weekday for a change so I gave the dealer a call and "innocently" asked for the price and availability of the "fan control module" that the service department said I needed to replace. Their response was that the module is in the driver's side fan. So I guess that finally answers my question. Thanks for the help anyway.

sheldon 07-23-2012 10:27 PM

Well saves me from opening the Bentley when I get home :D
Sooner or later I might have to buy that FCM/Driver's side fan too since I heard this is not something uncommon. Anyways, make sure you shop online Audi charges way to much for their stuff!

pconn171 07-24-2012 12:08 PM

I agree about the online stuff. I bought it from Europaparts.com for $159. Oddly enough though, I can't find the right side (don't know if I need it yet) fan for a good price, so I asked the Audi dealer and it was $85.