Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Firmer Brake Pedal

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 05:54 PM
1st Gear
Default Firmer Brake Pedal

I'm really loving my A3 after six weeks of ownership, but the sensitive and somewhat spongy brake pedal takes a delicate touch compared to the cars I've known (last was an E36 BMW 325i), and I've seen other mentions of this characteristic. The braking performance seems just fine with Toyo T1-R tires.

What have any of you donethatfirmed up the brake feel - stainless lines, different pads, upgraded calipers, or ? I'm not looking for "Big Brakes" or a major upgrade requiring larger then 17" wheels.

BTW, I wonder if there's any difference in brake pedal feel between DSG and 6MT A3s, because, unlike that BMW,this brake pedal would be tricky to 'heel and toe' smoothly.

Old 10-01-2007, 08:09 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Firmer Brake Pedal

Akebono ceramic pads, Tyrolsport slider bushings, and a good bleeding with high quality fluid will firm up your pedal. It still won't be great, but it will be considerably better than stock.

Old 10-01-2007, 08:14 PM

Actually, just replacing the lines with s/s will firm it up dramatically. Add some good pads and fluid and you'll be set. If you upgrade to slotted rotors then the car should be as good on a track at the BBK.

Cheers!

Old 10-02-2007, 01:52 AM
1st Gear

From what I've been able to figure out, upgraded slider pins (to prevent caliper flex) would be a way to go. But they aren't the total answer because they do require maintenance. Better pads would help, but on ABS cars, I've never experienced an increase in firmness by going withSS lines, YMMV.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:46 AM
1st Gear

x2- I couldn't feel a diff with the lines.The A3 is in desperate need of a BBK, buts sliders, pads, and fluid will give the best bang for buck improvement. Unfortunately, most of the slop and squish is in the ABS plumbing.

Oddly enough, Angryrican put S3 calipers front and rear on his 3.2, and couldn't say that they improved the feel. He reported increased braking power and linearity, but said that they didn't feel any better after install. Maybe we should check back with him now thaty they're broken in.

No difference in feel between MT and DSG - I have one of each.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:07 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: hesaputz
...Oddly enough, Angryrican put S3 calipers front and rear on his 3.2, and couldn't say that they improved the feel. He reported increased braking power and linearity, but said that they didn't feel any better after install. Maybe we should check back with him now thaty they're broken in.
Interesting to know, 'cause I was thinking of putting on the S3 calipers. I think I'll hold off on that.

Old 10-02-2007, 11:35 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for those suggestions, everyone - really helpful. I'll order some of those Tyrolsports slider bushings very soon. Are the includedinstructions pretty clear? I don't have the Bentley service CD yet (good thing to request as a Christmas present). What maintenance is recommended?

I appreciate the suggestion of the Akebono ceramic pads. How are they for 'cold' stops (before the brakes have warmed up)? Any other pad experiences?

BTW, I put Mintex Red Box pads on my BMW with ATEPowerslot frontrotors and Brembo rears. I'd say they were slightly less firm then the stock Pagids, but much less dust-producing.

I'll have to think about the SS lines - maybe when I get the next brake flush. Thanks for the descriptions of your experiences with them. I would have thought they would be a prime candidate, but then my original stock brake lines on the BMW felt wonderful, although with 170K miles, it was time to replace them when I sold it last month. (Yes, I did make that recommendation to the buyer.)