Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

First Service: When?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 01:37 AM
1st Gear
Default First Service: When?

I've had my A3 since October. Driven about 2100 miles on it. I obviously don't drive all that much, but I will changing that soon. I have the Audi Service Contract so I get scheduled maintanence included. Should I take it in now (it's mostly city driving) or really wait till 5000 miles (when the idiot light comes on.)

thanks.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:01 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: First Service: When?

ORIGINAL: spaceman3

I've had my A3 since October. Driven about 2100 miles on it. I obviously don't drive all that much, but I will changing that soon. I have the Audi Service Contract so I get scheduled maintanence included. Should I take it in now (it's mostly city driving) or really wait till 5000 miles (when the idiot light comes on.)

thanks.
Take it in at 5000 miles point or one year after delivery (which ever comes first).

Old 05-09-2007, 02:07 AM
1st Gear

Take it for an IMMEDIATE oil change! [sm=smiley6.gif]

Old 05-09-2007, 02:59 AM
SoCal Crew Member

my Audi Mechanic recommends that you should change your oil withi the first 1000 miles of owning the Audi, just for break-in periods, then every 5000 miles on that............ MAKE SURE THEY USE MOBILE 1............. NOT THAT VALVOLINE SHIAT!!!!!

Old 05-09-2007, 03:00 AM
2nd Gear

Check the oil level, it tends to suck some extra oil the first miles, might need to add some. If you dont change it now I would at 3000 miles, and every 3000 miles instead of every 5000, keeps the engine running better in the long run and keeps it in better shape

Old 05-09-2007, 03:59 AM
1st Gear

Hey Spaceman you got four different views but anything additional to 5K, 15K, 25K and so forth services is your cost. So unless you have done a lot of stop/starts at stop lights for your 2100 miles then you have barely used the A3. I myself would check the oil level and observe the viscosity of the oil and then make your decision.

The point about changing oil at 1K is a interesting one as that is when you might think you would have the most wear of metals from engine. But you might be surprised that you engine usually has more wear of metals from 1000 to 3000 miles.

In USA we are oil change crazy compared to what people do in Europe....thats why the 10k intervals, but you still need to check oil level.

Reference
Synthetic Oils Beat Petroleum Oils On All Counts!
Synthetic Oil: Rx for Long Engine Life by Curt Scott

Old 05-09-2007, 04:27 AM
1st Gear

Common, lets not get hysterical here guys.
Sure, changing the oil every 3000 miles would be great...hey, every 1000 miles would be better, right?
Not unless you've hit the lottery lately...
But really, don't ya think the highly degreed, competentengineers at Audi/VW haven't determined the best schedule for the engines they developed,built and tested?
Just stick with the regularly scheduled maintenance as indicated in the owners manual. Can't go wrong with that. Sure, keep an eye on the oil level between changes (but then again, they say to do this in the OM) and use oil recommended by VW/Audi, ie: VW spec 502.00 5W-30 Synth.
BTW, my dealer (and others I've consulted) uses Castrol Synth. It's compliant with the 502 spec...I don't know if Mobil 1 does. I have a list of approved oils I can post if there is any interest...
Of course, if you're tracking the car on the weekends, you'll want to consider changing more often, but it doesn't seem like you're doing that with only 2100 miles in ~6mo...
Save your $$, enjoy your ride and stick with the recommended maintenance schedule.
[/align]

Old 05-09-2007, 05:48 AM

Agreed.

BUT, if you are modified, then I would make sure you change the oil every 5k miles. That's my opinion.

Cheers!

Old 05-09-2007, 05:55 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Chef

Agreed.

BUT, if you are modified, then I would make sure you change the oil every 5k miles. That's my opinion.

Cheers!
What is the logic behind this? Don't you change your oil because it gets dirty? How do mods make your oil dirtier faster?

Old 05-09-2007, 06:02 AM

Oil breaks down with time, heat, friction, and contaminates. You are increasing most all of these things with a modified car (except time), if you actually use your mods. It's the best protection you can buy for those over-worked engine internals.

That's my logic.

Quick Reply: First Service: When?