Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Front License Plate issue

Old 03-21-2007, 07:55 PM
1st Gear
Default Front License Plate issue

Quick question,
I live in CA so need to have a front license plate, however i bought my car from Florida and thus didn't come with a place to hold a license plate (think it's like the Euro versions). Didn't think it was much of a problem until i received a citation the other day. I called audi and they have a replacement part for $115 , plus labor, but just looking for other options.

Any ideas?

2006 A3

Old 03-21-2007, 08:02 PM
Site Moderator/Ninja
Default RE: Front License Plate issue

there should be little front mount bracket u can get from autosupply
like pepboys etc...

Old 03-21-2007, 08:08 PM
1st Gear

Cheers for the suggestion. I'll look into it.

Anyone used one, or got any other ideas?

Old 03-21-2007, 11:40 PM
1st Gear

you could technically fight it. The car was originally sold without provisions for a front license plate and under california law, you aren't required to put the plate on if the car does not have provisions for it as originally sold.I'd be happy to trade you my 'front license plate part' for your 'filler' panel though! I'm in CA too.....

*edit*
i may be mistaken about this. I remember reading about it at some point in time on the DMV vehicle code website, but i can't find it anymore. I may be smoking crack, or the law may have changed, either way i can't find it anymore...still willing to trade.

Old 03-22-2007, 02:39 AM
1st Gear

Cheers for the insight Falcompsx, i'll definitely look into it and let you know whether you are smoking crack or not.

As for my filler grill, i'll let you know.

Old 03-22-2007, 05:45 PM

damn! whereabouts in CA did you get your citation? i hate to install the front license plate on my new a3

Old 03-22-2007, 05:49 PM
1st Gear

Here in the Bay Area. Down the Peninsula. I thought i could get away with it for ages, but only took 2 months!

Old 03-23-2007, 06:26 AM
1st Gear

not to steal from falcom, but I too would glady trade my "license plate part" for a "license plate filler"

i would be very willing to pay...this goes for anyone looking to trade/sell.

thanks

Old 03-25-2007, 02:12 PM
1st Gear

If it's a fix it ticket, just put the plate on with some nylon zip-ties. Hunt down an officer and have him make note of the change (he'll sign off on the fix it ticket right there).

My Miata didn't have provisions for a front plate, and I still got a ticket, to top it off it was a citation, not a fix it ticket, so I had to pay instead of simply putting it on and having it dismissed by a patrolman on duty.

Old 03-26-2007, 12:02 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Bezor

If it's a fix it ticket, just put the plate on with some nylon zip-ties. Hunt down an officer and have him make note of the change (he'll sign off on the fix it ticket right there).

My Miata didn't have provisions for a front plate, and I still got a ticket, to top it off it was a citation, not a fix it ticket, so I had to pay instead of simply putting it on and having it dismissed by a patrolman on duty.
zip ties wont cut it. That i know for sure. I have a buddy who got ticketed for not having a 'properly mounted' front license plate. It must be BOLTED to the car. They might sign it off for you, but they also very well might not.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front License Plate issue